Disability criteria

CHfather

I received the following today by email.  I am assuming that it's legitimate since the link takes to me a government website to provide my comment.  Maybe a little further investigation of the specifics would be warranted, or maybe you want to act now.

Dear friends of the Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy,

People with severe and disabling headache disorders urgently need your help.

Migraine is the 7th leading cause of all disability. Yet, the US Social Security Administration does not list headache disorders as disabilities in their Blue Book –  the official list of criteria for how to qualify for Social Security benefits. Consequently, people disabled by headache disorders struggle unfairly to prove their legitimate disabilities. This situation is baffling, baseless, and grossly unjust.

The Social Security Administration has recently been revising the neurological disorders Blue Book listings for the first time since 1985. Accordingly, the AHDA and certain members of Congress proposed that they finally add a headache disorders listing.  Unfortunately and without explanation, they have just refused to do, perpetuating a huge mistake.

But there is still a brief window of time until April 28, 2014 for you to tell the Social Security Administration to change course.

Write Social Security today supporting inclusion of a headache disorders listing for fair determination of Social Security benefits for Americans truly disabled by headache disorders.

Please submit your comment to them here:  http://1.usa.gov/1gQS89a.

Once you submit your comment, you will be issued a confirmation tracking number, though it may take up to a week for your comment to appear on-line. Please donÂ’t submit the same comment multiple times.

Also, please forward this email immediately to everyone you know that cares about someone disabled by migraine, cluster headache, concussion headache, or other headache disorders.

Thank you very much,

William B. Young, MD, FAHS

President, Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy