Interesting sleep/CH research

CHfather

According to this research, "there is no relation between CH attacks and specific sleep stages or between CH and breathing parameters"  Also, overall sleep patterns in CH patients are the same out of cycle as in cycle.  https://www.docguide.com/disturbed-sleep-cluster-headache-not-result-transient-processes-associated-cluster-period?tsid=5

BACKGROUND Cluster headache (CH) is characterized by severe, unilateral attacks of pain and a high nocturnal attack burden. It remains unknown if perturbations of sleep are solely present during the CH bout. Therefore, we aimed to investigate differences in sleep between the bout and remission period in episodic CH (eCH) patients, secondly to compare patients in the two phases with controls.

METHODS eCH patients, aged 18-65 years, diagnosed according to the International Classification of Headache Disorders 2 nd edition, were admitted for polysomnography at the Danish Center for Sleep Medicine, in bout and in remission. The macrostructure of sleep including arousals, breathing parameters, limb movements (LMs) and periodic limb movements (PLMs) were compared with 25 age-, sex- and BMI-matched healthy controls.

RESULTS There were no differences in any of the sleep parameters for patients in bout (n=32) compared with patients in remission (n=23). Attacks were unrelated to sleep stages, presence of apnea episodes, PLM's, LM's and arousals. In bout, patients had longer sleep latency (18.8 vs. 11.7 minutes, p<0.05) and REM-sleep latency (1.7 vs. 1.2 hours, p<0.05) than controls and sleep efficiency was lower (82.5 vs. 86.5%, p<0.05). Patients in remission only had a longer sleep latency compared with controls (17.5 vs. 11.7, p<0.01).

CONCLUSIONS The results support the presence of a continuing or slowly recovering disturbance of sleep outside the bout rather than a disturbance occurring secondary to attacks. Further, we confirm there is no relation between CH attacks and specific sleep stages or between CH and breathing parameters. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sleep disruptions have definitely been a huge trigger of CHs for me. Are they the primary or underlying cause of my cluster headaches? I don't know and I tend to doubt it, but I do know that patterns of interrupted sleep (sleeping then waking then falling back to sleep then waking again, and on and on) have definitely triggered CHs for me. Last year I had one of my worst cycles ever, and it was definitely triggered by my then 2-year-old son's terrible sleeping patterns and constant night waking. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went in for a sleep study twice during a cluster cycle. I was so excited they had me hooked up to all these wires and twice a cluster triggered within the first hour of sleep.. which is common for me.. I saw on the raw data where as soon as I transitioned from stage 1 to stage 2 sleep the CH triggered. The Neurologist didn't even look at the raw data. The only thing she said was I had disrupted sleep and I needed a CPAP. I was so pissed. I was in the middle of one of my worst CH cycles and no shit I had disrupted sleep.  Another disappointing dead end in figuring out a possible cause or treatment.

I'm not sure what the test was called. I went in in the evening and they hooked me up and wanted to monitor at least 6 hours of sleep. I believe this was the standard test for sleep apnea, but I figured they would catch my CH attack and progress would be made from there. Well, they caught my attacks but failed to focus in on that particular aspect. The summary did not even include the attacks. It basically just said I had a sleep disorder and I needed a CPAP. I find it very difficult to get medical personnel to cross that line into Cluster Headache. It's amazing how many so called Neurologists can't zero in on this condition. That was just one of about 6 Neurogists I've been to see and none of them can think outside the box. Grrrrrr..