I am freaking out here

Stump BeefKnob

Last night I had the strangest thing happen to me.

I work night shifts, and had finished my week up Tuesday morning. Normally I sleep a few hours when I get home so I don't waste the whole day, but because of some things I had on my mind and possibly the new Vyvanse I was put on for my ADD, I didn't feel all that tired. Ended up staying up all day and playing with my dogs and getting some stuff done around the house.

So last night around 10pm I decided to go to bed, because I was feeling pretty sleepy by that time. The wife is out of town on her first clinical rotation in New Mexico, so I decided to let my pugs sleep on the bed with me.

A few minutes after closing my eyes and starting to doze off, I remember "dreaming" the most horrific feeling dreams about various things. At one point in my dream I had an overwhelming sense of being smothered, and my body felt like it was seizing up. I immediately opened my eyes and my limbs had been flailing around and my body was stiff at that point. I was a little confused what had happened and thought perhaps it was a bad dream combined with a myoclonic jerk. So almost immediately after closing my eyes again, a different sort of "dream" began where I something terrible was happening. Again, my entire body seemed to tense up and arms and legs started shaking. At this point I got a little scared, so I went and got a drink of water thinking that moving around then going back to bed might stop these dreams. However, this happened several more times, some times being more intense than others. If I had to guess, I would say each one lasted only 30 seconds or so, but it is difficult to say with any certainty. Eventually I had to put my dogs in their kennels out of fear I was going to injure them in one of these episodes.

All I know is I have never experienced anything like that in my life, and don't know what I should do. I am terrified though

Could it be a result of just being too tired? Small seizures? Epilepsy?

I have been on various ADD meds over the past few years, but Vyvanse has only been for a couple weeks. It is just a longer acting version of Dexedrine that I have taken before with no complications. The only complaint that I have had with Vyvanse is that it seems to work for too long, and I have had difficulty going to sleep in the morning after a long night of work.

I used to...eventually I figured out I was allergic to gluten and my seizures stopped....I would make a neurologist appointment as soon as you can.  It sounds like you probably had a seizure, and I wouldn't discount it being from the meds switch.  Remember every drug is different, even when you're talking about generic vs brand name---they used to tell me when I was on Dilantin that if I switched to a generic version of the drug I had to do it very slowly or I could have a seizure, because they are not really identical drugs.

I really feel for you and understand you freaking out...It's a scary thing, but I doubt it's something that's going to last.  Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll try and think of anything else that could help.