social security.

jimmys

like bobb, i too have had to resort to SSD but i also have AVN with the Chronic clusters. . . rendered useless

one things that i will mention that will help dearly is keeping a detailed journal of your attacks. . . they will want all hospital records all doctor records, you will have to see one of their doctors

the sooner you start the better you will be, because if they do decide your eligible for the benefits, you will be reimbursed from the time you submitted your application.

some people it takes a few years and multiple attempts, for me it took about 2 months.

and when you do start your application dont short anything, explain everything, add notebook paper with detailed descriptions. like one of the questions i remember is "how does your disability affect daily tasks ?" explain what you cant do, and what is difficult, dont just say it hurt real bad.

you can still work on SSD, another thing i will add is dont expect to live comfortable with SSD, unless you worked your whole life and made a shit ton of money, you will basically get a minimum wage check every month

you also will not recieve medicare right away, you will need to be on SSD for two years before your eligible, unless your 65. so you will still have to pay health insurance if u need it out of pocket.

i met a woman where i used to work and she suffered from migraines, she was on a program where she still worked her full time job, but if she had attacks she would call in and get paid for her time missed. so there are other options....

one more thing if your case for ssd is shakey, or hollow, meaning your dont have a lot of records or proof of disability you may need a lawyer, and i also believe you must be on state disability or workers comp for your conditions for 6 months before your eligible to apply for SSD, thats what i recall anyways, theres a lot of factors that determine your path to SSD.

AO

In Texas, we have what's called MHMR. Mental Health, Mental Retardation. They take care of services for the mentally handicapped, and disabled.

I don't know if it works like this in other states, but here, you go to MHMR and let them know that you need help getting on Disability. They have people who specifically fill out the paperwork, get the information from your doctors, etc. It's at no cost to you, as the government takes care of the service.

If you have depression due to the CH? Mention it. You can be put on SSD for depression alone. My Aunt is disabled due to her depression and cannot work because of it.

I know there are other places like MHMR, so check in your state to see what they have there. Each state has places that take care of mental health.

Mystina

Can't recommend strongly enough that you get yourself an SS lawyer. Their fees are set by the govt. You don't have to pay them anything up-front. They get a %age of your back pay; the money you're entitled to between the time of your disability and the time of your filing. I think. And that's in California. Check your state law.

Can't recommend strongly enough that you get yourself an SS lawyer

Can not agree more.  When I was having grand mal seizures that left me with no license, my cluster's raging all the time and my thought process reduced to mush, I applied and was told there was no way I'd be turned down, only to be denied every type of service the government had to offer.  (they did give me food stamps for a month, till they denied that too :))They even tricked me by telling me that I had to sell my car in order to qualify, and then denied me for a different reason.  Rat Fink Bastards.  At least I get  to hold a grudge ;)

Can't recommend strongly enough that you get yourself an SS lawyer.

I agree. 

But don't hire one of the national lawyers (as advertised on TV).  Instead find a good local attorney who specializes in disability cases.  If you are like most and get turned down twice, you will appeal and go before an ALJ.  That's where a local attorney is handy since most ALJs are local and they are used to dealing with each other.  Just the system.

I am right with you broke, stressed, hardly take care of my family.  I did use Binder and binder and was successful first time. I just laid it all on the line it took six months.  But than I am on indigent care and can not afford to see doctors only ER for 22 months till medicare kicks in. I have ER vistits I just am not giong to pay not proud to say that but feel like I have no choice. I don t think outside of us CH er s understand this aspect either.  CB treatments have definitely helped depression.