Diving

I'm very much interested in information about CH and diving. As airplanes and air pressure are known triggers to CH patients, there is not much information about diving and CH.

As far as I know the pressure get's lower in the air (only airplane) and higher in the deep sea. But what does this say about high pressure in the deep sea with CH?

I hope there are some people who can help me out with this. I'm planning to get diving lessons but I'm afraid of flying and diving all in a couple of weeks. Wonder what it could be for my CH? Does it triggers double.  Wonder how much people did experience.

Greetings Oscar

Oscar,

I didn't see your post sooner as I rarely frequent the research topic.

As you can see from my avitar I'm an avid diver. :)  I'm normally underwater for 10 to 12 drops a month.  When in cycle I do get hit when surfacing from dives.  I no longer dive when in cycle (which I'm happy to say my diving has been unafected by my CH since starting busting!).  If you do decide to dive, I'd recommend both having your O2 near by for after your dive AND diving nitrox as I would think the increased O2 at depth might help reduce your CH attack if you were to get one upon surfacing.

PFW my friend,

Jeff

Hij Jeff,

Thanks for your answer Jeff, I'm glad you did see my post.

That's a lot of dives you made Jeff, it gives me thrust that everything will go fine. As I'm so curious to  the underwater world in the Caribbean that I love to learn diving there. My biggest fear is the long airplane trip and the pressure under water.

I'm not in Cycle now so if I understand you right this would be no problem till you are in cycle? I'll bust one year now and did one dose after my latest cycle.

Right before my airplane trip and the diving I will do a bust just to prevent a new cycle. So the airplane and the diving couldn't get me a new cycle.

I read about the nitrox but I'm totally new to this and I don't know how to use. I would tell my diving instructor that I got CH if he understands me.

Thanks again for the tips Jeff, if you know something that could help me out that would be very welcome.

PFW to you my friend.

Greetings Oscar

Oscar,

yes, if you're not in cycle, you should be fine.  Good idea to bust before your vacation.  That should give you good piece of mind the beast will stay away.

I'm sure you already know this, but don't fly within 24 hours of diving.  It's completely separate from our CH, but you certainly don't want nitogen bubbles to form while flying at the lowered air pressure.

You would need to get certified for diving Nitrox, as it has some particular dangers mostly only related to deeper diving.  (high oxygen concentrations cause nervous system damage at certain depths depending on the O2 mix).  The bonus of diving Nitrox is you generally feel better after diving and you can stay down much longer before hitting your deco limits, due to the reduced nitrogen disolved in your blood.

Enjoy the vacation!!!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

thanks for all the feedback on my questions.

It is very hopefull to me and I take the tip of the Nitro with me on the diving course.

At least I can say after a one week break on a short holiday with airplanes that I can feel my head in the airplane but it doesn't harm me at all while I'm not in cycle.

Thanks again and if I have any questions I now know there is a diver on the board  ;)

Greetings Oscar

• 4 months later...

Update to my diving topic.

During my vacation I did take 4 times a airplane. I hate flying and always give me a bad feeling at the place my CH is, that's the right side of my head.

After flying I feel minor shadows but didn't bother at all. The most funniest part was diving.

After the first dive I made my shadows totally disappeared and they stay away also after my fifth dive I made. Then I took the airplane to visit my next destination. Because is was a small plane with bad pressure in the cabin my shadows came right back. I really don't know why they came back while flying. They were also present after I was landed and the next day my shadows were stronger and stronger.

But then I make two dives a day and right after the first dive my head was clear and shadow free. I made totally of 14 dives during my vacation and I can only say diving did gave me great feeling in my head. Shadows disappear right after diving, isn't that strange?

I'm wondering if more divers have the same experience.

I was a PADI instructor for many years. Diving really had no effect either way when I descended. I have been hit while submerged and interestingly enough I continued the dive. Banged my head against coral though.... I find my attacks come on stronger once I have ascended to the surface.