Toprol

BeastBuster

So I had a guy message me on facebook who states that he suffered from clusters for many years. He finally had a doc prescribe him Toprol and he has not had any in 8 years. I have tried atenolol(to no avail) I am currently trying propanolol with no change in clusters. Does anyone here have any experience with taking Toprol?

Hey there Beast,

I've used Metoprolol for almost two years as part of treatment for high blood pressure, following an event I had in April of 2011.

It is a Beta Blocker that relaxes the blood vessels and slows heart rate by stopping the reaction on receptors in the sympathetic nervous system, which is ultimately controlled by the hypothalamus.

Metoprolol also reduces the force of contraction of heart muscle and thereby lowers blood pressure. By reducing the heart rate and the force of muscle contraction, metoprolol reduces the need for oxygen by heart muscle.

It has absolutely NO affect on my Cluster Headaches as far as I can tell.

I have read that it is sometimes prescribed for migraines and other vascular type headaches.  I believe (and could certainly be wrong) the Clusters are a different animal all together, thereby having little use in treatment.

Oxygen and Psilocybin are all I currently use and they work VERY well.  I also keep Sumatriptan Succinate (Imitrex)for emergencies.

Hope it helps and pain-free day to you!

weatherman

Thanks weatherman,

I have tried propanolol and atenolol which are both in the same family. I was curious because as I said earlier I had someone on Facebook contact me and say they had clusters for 6 years until they got on metoprolol. Since then they have not had any in 6 years. I am doubtful that I will be as lucky, but thought it would be worth a try. Thanks again.