indomethacin??

emilyd911

I was told 6 years ago that I have cluster headaches. While doing research I find that there is another headache much like cluster headaches but one big difference. They respond well with indomethacin. These headaches are far more common in women and the cause is unknown. I guess my question is would any of you try this medication to see if it works and maybe I was diagnosed wrongly? I'm thinking about trying it out and if it works then I know. It said that a lot of doctors get these 2 confused. Maybe that's why mine are during the day and my headaches come on fall or summer?

Of course, I would try it -- indo is a pretty simple test to see if you have a hemicrania and not CH.  Some CH responds to indo, too.  It's hard on the guts, though, and is often taken along with something to protect the stomach lining. 

I use indomethacin, and have done so for a number of years.  It has been effective for me most of the time.  Sometimes it doesn't work though.  I take a couple of omeprazole to help with possible stomach problems and I am having no problems. 

Thanks, Mercy!

When you say it has been effective for you most of the time, I have two questions. (1) Do you take it when you get an attack, as an abortive, or as a daily pill? The latter, I assume, but I'm not sure from your message. (2) Are you definitively diagnosed with CH, or do you have one of the hemicranias?  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are taking Indomethacin it might be a good idea to add in some Guarana or Guarana extract.  It is a caffeine containing seed that is very popular in South America.  There is a study on Pubmed showing evidence that Guarana extract protects against gastric lesions induced by Indomethacin.  I agree that Indomethacin is "hard on the guts" but from info I have read I think that might be putting it pretty lightly.  Indomethacin has the potential to be very hard on your body, especially if you are taking it everyday.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14669256

-Ricardo

• Like 1