Question For Batch

ChrisK

Been a Clusterhead for 45 years,  at 60, I'm hoping to be geesing out.  My question is that I have my D tested every 3 months with a 10,000 IU every day.  My readings have been in the upper 60"s.  Started a new cycle with only major Shadowing but nothing on the Kip scale in reguards to pain.  How much should I increase the vitamin D to get to the proper level.  I take the rest of the D regimine, as well as 240mg of Verapamill twice daily.

Hey Chris,

Excellent question.  Data from the online survey of 313 CHers taking this regimen suggest the following initial target serum concentration ranges measured ≥ 30 days after start of regimen:

ECHers - 80 to 90 ng/mL

CCHers - 90 to 100 ng/mL

To be clear, these are the initial target ranges.  If you don't experience a significant reduction in the frequency of your CH or a complete cessation of CH at the 30 day mark, start/continue loading vitamin D3 at 50,000 IU/day.  How long should you stay on the loading schedule becomes the next question.  The average 25(OH)D3 response to loading dose of vitamin D3 is an increase of 10 ng/mL for every 100,000 IU of vitamin D3.

Accordingly, as your 25(OH)D3 serum concentration is in the upper 60s ng/mL and you want it in the upper 80s or 90s, you need a total loading dose of 200,000 IU of vitamin D3 to elevate your serum 25(OH)D3 into the upper 80s in ng/mL and 300,000 IU of vitamin D3 to elevate your 25(OH)D3 into the 90s ng/mL.  At a loading dose of 50,000 IU/day that works out to four days on this loading schedule if you're an ECHer and six days if you're a CCHer. 

Again, these are still initial target ranges.  If you're not CH pain free or have experienced a significant reduction in the frequency of your CH... continue loading for a few more days.  Some CCHers have loaded for 30 days at 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 in order to experience a CH pain free response.  This has driven their 25(OH)D3 up to 150 ng/mL, which is where I've maintain my 25(OH)D3 for nearly a year.  It was 180 ng/mL prior to that.  My PCP has no problems with my 25(OH)D3 this high as long as my serum calcium remains within its normal reference range... and it has.

In any event, see your PCP/GP or neurologist for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH after a loading schedule to determine its effect.  As long as your serum calcium remains within its normal reference range, your 25(OH)D3 serum concentration doesn't really matter except as a point of reference to a pain free response.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Thanks Batch,  You are godsend for this community.  I don't post often,  but have been following this board for a long time.  Started the regimen about 4 years ago and have great results.  I take 249 Mg od verapamil for my blood pressure but elevate that when a cycle starts to twice a day.  I really would like to get rid of the second dose as it make me a little tired.  Thanks again.