Preemptive O2?

retrovertigo

Hey there, male 56, 40 years episodic. Long journey with some horrific moments, but far from the worst stories people here could tell.

My last cycle was 2 years ago. Oxygen and timely use of mild psychedelics have made the last couple cycles completely bearable with none of the all night brain burner sessions.

But there is one way it’s still getting me. That’s going to bed knowing I am going to be awakened at REM onset with CH. I feel relatively confident that I can get to the oxygen bottle in time to shut it down. I am also pretty confident about how long I have to hit the O2 to not get another one and be able to sleep the rest of the night. I have been re-hit at the peak of the cycle, but for most of the period one oxygen session per night would get at least one REM cycle of sleep.

The question is: Do I have to wait for the headache I know is coming to start the oxygen that seems to ward off future attacks as well? Has anyone tried using O2 before the onset? Is there a downside other than possibly wasting supply of this gas that is suddenly more precious than food? 

2 hours ago, retrovertigo said:

Has anyone tried using O2 before the onset?

yes, doesn't work, waste of valuable O2

Tip: after aborting with O2 stay on it 5-10 minutes longer, even if the acute pain is gone. that will hopefully prevent the rebound headache that can happen.

take care

• Like 1

5 hours ago, retrovertigo said:

The question is: Do I have to wait for the headache I know is coming to start the oxygen that seems to ward off future attacks as well?

Yes...O2 treats the symptom, not the cause...no symptom, no point. however, is extremely important to hit the O2 at first sign of hit....increases chances for abort exponentially.

Has anyone tried using O2 before the onset?

Probably all of us...and low flow w/ cannula while sleeping, which also doesn't work...

Is there a downside other than possibly wasting supply of this gas that is suddenly more precious than food? 

No harm....waste yes...

Edited by jon019

3 hours ago, snafu said:

yes, doesn't work, waste of valuable O2

Tip: after aborting with O2 stay on it 5-10 minutes longer, even if the acute pain is gone. that will hopefully prevent the rebound headache that can happen.

take care

Thanks. I will take your word for it. The O2 is precious to me. 

• Like 1