BOL study - published

FunGuy

I thank Cluster for finding and posting this link and Bonkers for pointing it out, but this paper is so important I feel it deserves its own thread.

From Cephalalgia, March 26, 2010

The non-hallucinogen 2-bromo-lysergic acid diethylamide as preventative treatment for cluster headache: An open,

non-randomized case series.

Matthias Karst, John H Halpern, Michael Bernateck and

Torsten Passie

http://cep.sagepub.com/cgi/rapidpdf/0333102410363490v1

Also, here is the link to the BOL poster presented by Dr. Halpern, which is also on our site:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1260934443

Well done gentlemen.  Well done.

This is certainly the beginning of something wonderful.

FG

• 8 months later...

I've come across several articles lately (e.g. the above mentioned study from Cephalalgia) that are now inaccessible and require either a subscription to a journal or a one-time fee of $30 or so to read. Is there some way that this type of article can be copy-pasted to this website so we can read them without charge?

I don't see a duplicate attachment for this article"

The Lancet:  Treatment of medically intractable cluster headache by occipital nerve stimulation: long-term follow-up of eight patients

file:///C:/Users/Bob/Documents/Cluster%20Info-%20Misc/Occipital%20Nerve%20Stimul...

Looks like the link points to your c: drive AllyOop. Could you post? Tx. -T

2 links attached:

Nerve stimulation may ease chronic cluster headaches

Occipital nerve stimulation long term follow up

Thanks to BobB for sending these.

FG

Nerve_Stimulation_May_Ease_Chronic_Cluster_Headaches.htm

Treatment_of_medically_intractable_cluster_headache_by_occipital_nerve_stimulation_long-term_follow-up_of_eight_patients.htm

Thanks, BobB and FG.  I had been discouraged reading some of the ONS results posted here at the site, but maybe there's long-term hope with this procedure.  I listened to Dr. Goadsby talking about this procedure a while back (at http://www.reachmd.com/xmsegment.aspx?sid=4280). I seem to remember that it was there, or somewhere else, that he was saying that it's not even necessary to place the stimulation very close to the nerve: the mechanism of relief is somewhat mysterious.  I'd rather have BOL or its ilk available, but it seems to me that any promising treatment gives hope.

Jerry

"Two patients noticed a substantial improvement (90% and 95%) in their attacks; three patients noticed a moderate improvement (40%, 60%, and 20–80%) and one reported mild improvement (25%). Improvements occurred in both frequency and severity of attacks."

I don't know.  Call me a wet rag, but these figures don't (and didn't) make me optimistic about long term results.

Bobb