MSG Warning

CHfather

A new poster, Entheogenesis, has mentioned that it's critical for him/her to avoid MSG (monododium glutamate) while in cycle.  Several other folks have mentioned this over the years.  So I'm thinking maybe it's time to issue this general warning.  Might be bad for your CH or might not be, but worth paying attention to.  (It's generally bad for you -- and your kids -- anyway, so worth avoiding in my opinion.)

MSG is in a whole lot of foods that many people eat regularly -- many soups and broths; flavored chips; a lot of bacon products; many sausages and pepperoni; some fast foods (e.g., some at Taco Bell and KFC) -- as well as in a lot of restaurant foods -- particularly Chinese, but not exclusively. 

Often a food's label will say "monosodium glutamate," but some other words on food labels also indicate that MSG might be present.  They include hydrolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, and protein isolate.

I've looked around for a good, straightforward list of foods that contain MSG, but couldn't really find one.  This is a pretty good start.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/4-foods-commonly-containing-msg/

Jerry

Progresso Soups are one of my mainstays during worst periods.

A few years ago, Progresso removed the MSG from its soups.  I'd still check the labels, but you're probably okay.  (The MSG in Progresso chicken soups nearly killed me in 1990. Long story.)

Whole Foods doesn't seem to accept anything with MSG, so that's a pretty safe place to shop.

Here in the Netherlands, all food is labeled with E-numbers, each E-number stands for an artificial food additive. For example, if Jan eats something with E-numbers E330-E333, he can count on an attack, these numbers contain citrates & tartrates. Also with E620-E627 glutamates & guanylates and E420. This way it's much easier to avoid any food that contains above additives. First you have to find out which you respond to though.

The full list can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number#Full_list