List of triggers - please help

CHfather

Yo...CHF...gonna have to partially disagree...'laughing gas" is nitric oxide.... which is a vasodilator like many other nitrate compounds ...and has been reported by clusterheads as a trigger (seen lit re same).  new to me that epinephrine is a trigger but a quick google shows vasodilation also....

I really like this idea of a trigger list.....would have been especially helpful when I was new to CH....rather than the HARD way I mostly had to learn. Most any clusterhead with more than a few yrs in knows what to avoid...although I learned something new re epi....and I have an epi-pen for another condition (Never had to use......wheeeeew)

I see the list as most beneficial for new "dancers"  BUT we must be careful to state at start, end, and somewhere in the middle that these are "typical" triggers....and how each person is affected or not can be VERY diferent....so find out for yourself

w/o automatically eliminating everything on the list.

Which is also why a headache journal is so important..."geez, I got blasted last night...what was I doing or eating in the hrs before?"

(e.g. chips with MSG...which I would find on the list).

Or something like...it's late...I'm tired and can't sleep...I hope the above made sense....................... 

Best

Jon

You make very good points, Jon -- I figured I'd start putting a draft together later this week and have you all look at it.  One important point you raise is that most popular brands of flavored tortilla chips contain MSG.  But if we just put MSG on the list, how many people are going to think, "Oh, I had chips and guacamole at that party yesterday; I should check to see if they had MSG in them."  I mean, once you're sensitized to MSG, you know to check for it everywhere, but until then . . . I think we might want to at least include a list of some places where it's typically found.

Actually, "laughing gas" is nitrous oxide (N2O), not nitric oxide (NO).  I can only say that several people here have asked for laughing gas from their dentists and have no had adverse effects. In fact, there was a discussion a few years ago about whether one could get nitrous oxide for home use, since for one person it made aborting an attack much more fun. I did see the note at the list (not going to look back at it right now) from someone who said that a dentist once told him that laughing gas produces attacks, and so I think it has to be noted on the list -- but so far, I have seen only the other side of that.

Yup...correct....I don't even know what nitric oxide is....twas a spelling error...

Haven't done an archive search of ch.com...so don't actually know where I've seen CH reports re N20...tho

I've seen lit...perhaps the old National Headache Foundation (formerly N Migraine F)  newsletter...which in 1985 was my bible...first to say O2!! to me. Very few folks ever mention that august publication...remarkable for its time. I finally tossed 15 yrs worth only last yr...it was a parting with a dear friend....

Further N20...then I'll leave the horse lay w/o more pounding. Have never personally experienced as have never been treated with.

However, several yrs ago in pre-surgery discussion with anesthesiologist I said "oh!" when perusing the list of meds to be used.

Told her I have CH...and she said..."well then, we'll leave out the nitrous". I was surprised..."how did you know?" She said "I did

my residency in Neurology...I know that's a trigger"....

Best

Jon

We've agreed to mention N2O as a possible trigger. No problem with that. Prilocaine appears to be what one wants to ask the dentist for.

I was remembering this thread featuring Ricardo in which nitrous at the dentist's office saves him twice.  Starting at post #13: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/1281-nmda-receptor-antagonists/

And I had a vague recollection of this study in which nitrous was effective in treating migraines: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10337883

A quick note about nitric oxide (NO).  There was a time when it was thought to be a central feature in all primary headaches. I don't know the status of that thinking today. It was used to induce headaches in this study: http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/123/9/1830 and discussed here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0163725808001411

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I definitely have experienced a good number on that list and agree that when in season and susceptible, they can al work as triggers, though I mostly now after 17 years just get regular ones (At the moment 8pm every other night) without the extra triggered ones.