Oxygen Not Working

Ceyron

I have had Cluster headaches for almost a year straight now will little sign of it stopping. I am on Melatonin (which has brought my headaches down from three a night to one) and oxygen (to help with the pain as it does not actually stop them for me). However, earlier today I had a triggered attack that oxygen did not even touch. This has never happened before and I would like to find out if this is a common occurrence that is just a one off or if is something I should be worried about. 

I am currently a bit anxious as I will have my normal headache again tonight and I fear that it may not be able to stop it...

Thanks in advance.

As you can see, I've posted a lot here.  Something I have never said, because it seemed so crazy, was confirmed again last night -- oxygen doesn't work for my daughter (she's the one who has CH) when the amount of oxygen in her tank is low.  This has been true for years -- every time we switch out her tank for a full one, the O2 starts working again.  I'm hoping that simple "solution" might help you.

Do you do an energy shot (such a 5-Hour Energy) at the first sign of an attack?  That helps a lot of people (and many, or even most, find they can get back to sleep).

Hey Ceyron,

We know what you're going through and most of us old timers like CHfather have the T-Shirts and coffee mugs from cluster headache conferences over the years to prove it.  He's given you an excellent suggestion on using a freshly charged oxygen cylinder.  It's also possible you're having a CGRP cascade triggered by an allergic reaction.  When this happens, none of the standard CH interventions work effectively including oxygen. 

CHers are typically dehydrated so be sure to drink at least 2.5 liters of water a day.  It also helps if you drink a glass of ice water with lots of ice through a straw at the first sign of an approaching CH.  Drinking the ice water this way results in a mini brain freeze that chills the hard pallet and Sphenopalatine ganglia located in the back of the nasal cavity to trigger vasoconstriction, one of the key elements responsible for aborting CH.

I've also sent you a PM that you'll need to discuss with your PCP or neurologist as it's very likely you're also vitamin D3 insufficient/deficient.  You can download a copy of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol at the following link at the VitaminDWiki web site.  It will explain all this and more. 

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

• Like 1