sleep apnea

razorPP

Fer what it's worth, I SELF-diagnosed (this can be risky, I know) for sleep apnea. I got my doctor to give me a prescription for a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine which I rent from XMED here in Texas.

I cannot tell you how much of an improvement in my life this has made! My wife lets me sleep with her (I snored like a train...), I sleep through the night without waking in a sweat, and I feel much better rested.

I can't say it has made a difference in my CH since 'busting has kept me pain free since 2002. (with exception of one short bout when I ran out of pharm product...)

YMMV (yer mileage may vary)  8-)

Fer what it's worth, I SELF-diagnosed (this can be risky, I know) for sleep apnea.

How did you self-diagnose Steve?  Did your wife help you?

My wife says I snore like a bear, but she has not noticed any aberrations in my breathing.

I know that I have all of the markers for sleep apnea - I smoke, am overweight and ain't getting any younger.  I also find myself sleepy and take naps frequently.

I imagine it would be fairly easy to get my doc to write a script for a CPAP, but am hesitant to do so without a proper diagnosis.

Bob

I have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea since 2001. CPAP has given me a great deal of my rest back, but the treatment has done nothing to effect any change in my CH - other than being better rested to fight the battle, which is huge.

Fungus, on the other hand...PF since May.

How did you self-diagnose Steve?  Did your wife help you?

I tried all kinds of "stop snoring" products which didn't help and was researching when I came upon sleep apnea. It seemed to fit my condition: night sweats, waking up with a "start", snoring, etc.

The CPAP machine I have (Resmed  S9 Elite) has an "AUTOSET" and a data card which can be downloaded and read by a respiratory therapist. The machine can then be fine tuned for your particular condition. XMED charges me $90/month with all the headgear, nose mask, humidifier, etc. included. I'm gonna save up and buy my own--cheaper in the long run--like O2 tanks/regulators.  YMMV

My wife helped me with elbow digs to the ribs and exile to the spare bedroom. She even taped my snoring which was a humbling experience.

I also have sleep apnea, my neurologist said it is common among cluster heads. I decided to talk to my Doc after realizing there are others with apnea on these boards. Fungus and my CPAP have changed my life. I have also heard and read that the CPAP does not help the headaches, but as stated you are much more rested to fight the battle/dance.

The sleep studies are very simple now. you pick up a unit that straps to your arm, two sensors are attached to your fingers and your sleep data is recorded. you return the unit to the respiratory therapist for diagnostics analysis. Sleep apnea is rated by how many events you have in an hour, for example:

If you stop breathing for more than 10 seconds and have a significant drop in your 02saturation, this is classified as an event. if you have greater than 15 events in an hour, you are classified as having sever sleep apnea and a CPAP is appropriate. I have a score of 40 events per hour with an 02 saturation decrease to 80%. the normal 02 saturation is greater than 94%.

I now sleep all night long........... My wife had a hard time sleeping because she was used to my snoring!! She is so funny. "Ive been on this snoring amusement park ride for 25 years and now the silence is creepy... keep snoring or I want a divorce" She was just kidding.

the new CPAP units are ultra quite. between the fungus and the CPAP if feel better than ever!!

there is a study on CH and apnea I found by googling it. That basically stated that 40% of Cluster heads have some form of apnea and that the CPAP does not decrease the intensity or the frequency of CHs.

The first night I used the CPAP, I sleep all night long. I had never slept all night long, EVER! I felt soooo great, and this was right after I busted for the first time, headaches gone and sleeping all night. not waking one time was euphoric. If I could do a cart-wheel or a back-flip I would! Boy I sound excited. Good topic, thanks