Basic on/off inline flow control for standard oxygen tubing?

Mizagorn

Hello! 

I'm looking for a simple flow control (and on/off) valve for the standard oxygen tubing setup.

I purchased the recommended non-rebreather mask setup a while back, and I'm also using a 200 liter oxygen tank from AirGas. Not medical, but it works just as well. And then an inexpensive pressure valve from Amazon. If I weren't so tired, I'd go ahead and provide links for each, but they each have been recommended throughout these forums. :(

The reason I'm asking is because I have to stick the oxygen tank in my bedroom. I work at night from home. If I'm having bad days (nights), then that means I'm struggling to get oxygen flow going there in the bedroom. And I'm waking up my wife multiple times when she already has problems sleeping.

I have way more than enough tubing to run the mask into the living room where I won't bother her at night.

I've searched so many times over the last year for a simple, twist-valve something or other that will allow me to turn on and regulate the oxygen flow via the tubing without having to be at the tank and shutting it on or off. Most of what I've seen are really expensive and have pressure gauges on them.

So, in other words, a simple little faucet that goes inline with the oxygen tubing that I can turn on when needed, maybe adjust the flow a bit, then turn off when done. I don't care about the pressure.

Edited by Mizagorn
Additional info

• Mizagorn changed the title to Basic on/off inline flow control for standard oxygen tubing?

Just brainstorming here but I think this might be something to experiment with. Click Here

I've not tried these for O2 use so you'd be experimenting. Cheap enough that if they don't work it's no big deal.

I would caution that the set up you propose wouldn't be the safest. Personally, I'm not much on keeping lines charged due to the possibility of leakage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the brilliant brainstorming. Sounds like just what I'm looking for! I've ordered and will see what happens. I did not think of irrigation or aquarium products. 

I also very much appreciate your cautionary comments. In this case, the twist valve you shared would be next to me during the hours at night when I am awake and my wife is asleep. When I am asleep the main valve on the O2 cylinder will be fully closed. Until needed when I am in the bedroom, of course. 

Thank you again for your time and comments. They are both very much appreciated.

• Like 1

The only thing I would worry about is the pressure from the tank blowing the tubing off of one of your connections. I don't know how long the normal 02 tubbing can hold the pressure of a full tank at around 2000 psi. Just something to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 4:56 AM, FunTimes said:

The only thing I would worry about is the pressure from the tank blowing the tubing off of one of your connections. I don't know how long the normal 02 tubbing can hold the pressure of a full tank at around 2000 psi. Just something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the tip. The regulator I am using allows me to reduce the pressure coming from the O2 tank! It has two gauges: one for input pressure from the tank, and one for output pressure, to the tubing in this case.

So even if I open the tank valve all the way, the regulator will keep the pressure at a usable limit.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:25 AM, Racer1_NC said:

Just brainstorming here but I think this might be something to experiment with. Click Here

I've not tried these for O2 use so you'd be experimenting. Cheap enough that if they don't work it's no big deal.

I would caution that the set up you propose wouldn't be the safest. Personally, I'm not much on keeping lines charged due to the possibility of leakage. 

Since I am able to regulate the pressure coming out of the O2 tank, this looks like it will work. Since the valves are for water, even with a super tight hose connection over the ribs, there is still a bit of a leak. I'm going to find some super small hose clamps to see if that will solve the leak on the input side when the valve is closed. Output side does not need any clamps since the back pressure is minimal as it's going into my lungs. ;)

Thanks again. I'll post another update.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 10:10 AM, FunTimes said:

Interested to see how this works out. I have thought about a setup like this to install in my car so I have a 02 port coming out of the dash and the tank in the trunk. 

I think it's going to work out. The 1/4"-6mm screw-type hose clamps won't work, because when tightened enough the clamp does not make a perfect seal around the tubing because of the way the clamp is constructed. I'm to look into some same size spring clamps to see if that works, hopefully from a local hardware store so I don't have to buy bulk.

Otherwise the whole setup is working fairly well. I'm using vise grips to completely shut off the flow until the spring clamps come in. The inline  ball valve does allow you to fine tune the flow so you get just what you need instead of messing with the pressure regulator coming from your O2 tank. I'm using a regulator like this, but it seems it's not available now. I'm sure there are similar items that allow for medical oxygen tubing to be attached.

Edited by Mizagorn
Slight edit to hose clamp description
  • Like 2

You might try electrical tape. Wrap it around the tubing snug a few times, then add your clamp. Also, is the clamp one with the slots along the length of the clamp? Has a screw on the side to tighten? It seems like tape would work. I have used this method, with that type of clamp on other stuff to my advantage. Not sure about soft tubing though. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, spiny said:

You might try electrical tape. Wrap it around the tubing snug a few times, then add your clamp. Also, is the clamp one with the slots along the length of the clamp? Has a screw on the side to tighten? It seems like tape would work. I have used this method, with that type of clamp on other stuff to my advantage. Not sure about soft tubing though. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Having been an electrician apprentice for 4 years (and a sort of redneck), I should have thought of the tape lol. In fact, just a few minutes ago I was thinking about what I could wrap around the tubing to make it thicker. Rubber bands? Nah, that black tape sounds better.

Yes, I was trying to use one of the screw hose clamps, with the slotted, 1/4" hex head. Getting it tight resulted in a not-round seal.

I spent a whole 40 cents on a 3/8" inside diameter spring clamp a couple of days ago, but it is still too big. I think the tape is a great idea. I'll give it a whirl and let you know!

Edited by Mizagorn
Additional info

@spinyI did a tight electrical tape wrap on the supply side of the valve I have. It worked wonderfully. No air leaks after sticking in a bowl of water! Now the only problem is that the bowl of water revealed that the valve itself is not up to snuff when it comes to the air pressure

Here are some images of what my setup is. I have a 200 liter oxygen tank I get from AirGas and exchange on an account as needed. $40 a pop. A set of vise grips to cut off the flow (which needs to be perfectly centered over the hose, because that hose is really tough and will leak even with that) and the aquarium valve thing. The valve with the electrical tape wrap with a spring clamp. Plus the non-rebreather mask I ordered a few years back.

It works really well, except it would be nice to not have to move across the room several times a night to open and close the valve on the O2 tank.

IMG_20231004_022155.jpg

PXL_20231004_071702766.jpg

PXL_20231004_071845455.jpg

Mizagorn, it would. Ball valves are super simple and easy to use.  

The first one that FunTimes linked is a great solution too and very cheap. I would check on the delivery time for it first though. Just from my experience with some companies. 

Number 2 is fine as long as you don't lubricate them at all. the barbs should come in clean of any oils or grease. Tape is only used on threads too.

For any of these, you want to be careful and easy with them and not let them stress your tubing. Support them is what I would suggest. The tubing is very stout and strong, but don't leave the connection hanging with no support as over time, the set-up will degrade.

• Like 1