Hormones and the head

MoxieGirl

So, back in July when I last saw my neuro, he suggested I stop taking my 2mg a day maintenance dose of oestrogen to see if that would make my frequent migraines go away. It apparently does in genetic woman on HRT who get migraines.

So, I did. Now, 6 months on and I had my hormone levels checked to see if my body is producing enough on its own or not.

My hormone levels are now at the low end of OK for a woman. My Testosterone is 0.2 nnol, and my oestrogen is less than 19 pnol. In May 2009, the last time I had them checked, my T was at 1.4 nnol and my oestrogen was at 77 pnol!!!!!

A MASSIVE HUGE DROP if you ask me. Still in acceptable levels to keep me alive, but not great. My GP thinks my body was converting some of the oestrogen I was taking into T, which makes sense and accounts for the numbers.

So, my next logical thought was: Did my clusters turn really bad since coming off the oestrogen? And, looking back over my records, I can't say they got much worse really. They started getting REALLY bad last April, and I didn't come off the oestrogen until July. Also, can't say that my migraines have gotten remarkably better.

So, I'm going back onto the pill, and in three months or so, going to get my levels checked again. I'm also thinking of not busting for the next few months, if I can survive it, to see if increasing my hormones alone has an impact on my clusters. I'm not taking D3, or ANYTHING else, so changing my hormones will be the only thing happening.

Renée

Good luck Renee!

Yes, going on the pill has set off many a migraine. I don't know that stopping will end them though. When I was first diagnosed, with migraines mind you, they said to stop the pill. I did, but my CH remained. I saw no connection between the two. Once started, the pill made no difference for me.

Fingers crossed for you! :)

Renee,

I really feel for you, and admire your strength and courage.  Regardless of the clusters, In this society I'm sure it isn't easy coming to terms with all you have taken on.  All of us deal with enough variables in trying to treat our clusters, it must not be easy trying to figure this all out on top of the hormones.  You obviously are a smart, strong person, and I'm sure this will all get figured out.

-Ricardo

And like Jerry said--get on top of that O2!  If the Doc can't move fast enough you can always go for the welders O2...

Thank you everyone. Yeah, has been a tough ride. When you budget the costs of changing your gender, one usually factors in things like hormones, surgeries, a new wardrobe, etc.  you can't predict things like the two sisters who are no longer talking to you, or not being able to see your, now 8 year old daughter for 5 years. Then, after all that, changing my hormone system triggered clusters.

That said, I wouldn't trade the experience of having 2 genders, and being able to understand both men and women, for the world. Even if someone told me clusters would be the result, I would have still done it.  You single gender people are missing out on so much. LOL

As far as the O2, I work away from home for most of the week. So can't really say I haven't been contacted this week until I get home.

Renée