Clusterbusters makes The Atlantic

tommyd

"The Worst Possible Pain?"

...but the best possible treatment.

Featuring our own Bob Wold:

For Bob Wold, founder of the non-profit cluster headache research and advocacy organization, Clusterbusters, none of the medications he tried worked. “All of the different medications that people use for clusters are hand-me-downs, usually from migraine treatments, anti-seizure medications, or blood pressure medications…I had pretty much tried all of the different medications that were available, and so I was contemplating having gamma knife surgery. They clamp your head down and shoot radiation into your brain, killing off part of your brain. I had been approved for that surgery at Northwestern.”

He decided to try one last thing first, something heÂ’d read about online. A couple doses of psilocybin mushrooms, which are classified as a Schedule I drug, broke a cycle he says heÂ’d been stuck in for months, when nothing else could.

“I canceled the surgery and haven’t looked back since,” he says.

The rest at:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/cluster-headaches-the-worst-possible-pain/281524/

• 2 weeks later...