ayahuasca - thinking outside the box

didgens

That would be DMT. Although a powerful psychedelic, I do not remember anyone who tried it recommending it for CH (very intense trip, and short without the MAOI). I have tried it, but not really "busted" with it, so I can't rate it for CH. I think ricardo might be able to weigh in on this one.

My basic opinion on the long intense experiences like ayahuasca and Ibogaine are good psychological healing and spiritual exploration tools but do not lend themselves well to being used as regular medicine.

Although, I would like to try Ibogaine, only because it is a psychedelic that is also an NMDA antagonist like ketamine... most likely why it is so successful in treating addictions etc. If I were designing a psychedelic for medical use, that would be the profile I would go for.

One of the drawbacks to DMT (aside from the obvious) is that it's very non-selective in its receptor binding. Since it so closely mimics serotonin, it will basically get in wherever it can fit in (that's a massive oversimplification, of course). But for CH, it's really like having a mosquito on your leg and blasting it with a shotgun. You may or may not get the mosquito, but you're sure as hell gonna get something!

If you want a better tryptamine, 5-MeO-DALT. Just sayin'.

Smoking DMT was amazingly helpful for me but is a hard choice for me to recommend to people.

Ayahuasca, while being a great experience for me, did not seem super helpful.  What is always good to remember though, that "Ayahuasca" is a blanket term for a brew that contains both DMT and a MAO inhibitor to make the the DMT not get destroyed in our gut by the MAO enzyme.  In other words, there are a lot of plants that you can use and I would imagine that each would be different. 

The one major thing that I wonder about with DMT is the fact that it is an endogenous brain chemical, we make it ourselves.  This has led researchers to believe that it does not create "tolerance" because it needs to work all the time in your brain.  If your brain did create a tolerance to it you would no longer be able to use the DMT in your brain that you need to and you would most likely not be functioning at all anymore.  To me, this may be the crucial thing that separates the long lasting relief drugs (LSD, Psilocybin, etc..) from the short acting not long lasting relief drugs (like DMT) When you take mushrooms over and over again you KNOW that it is affecting your brain for months at a time because you take them again and don't have as pronounced of an effect.  This may not be what is giving us relief, but I wonder if it is.

-Ricardo

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

DMT (when vapored) is not working as a preventative, only as an abortive. Its what imigran / imitrex injections are made of. I can not speak of the ayahuasca experience, altough that seems far more dangerous having that MAOI included in the mix.

Its what imigran / imitrex injections are made of

Sumatriptan is essentially DMT with a sulfur molecule added on, which makes it very different from DMT.  Psilocybin is essentially DMT that has a phosphorus molecule added on. 

-Ricardo

• 4 years later...