Light at night

CHfather

I have a friend who lives alone. When her CH cycles get bad, I move in for a week or so to help out.  It’s always been true that when I got there, her attacks would become much less severe, and then right after I left, they’d ramp back up again.

We figured it was stress related, naturally.

And then we realized something else. When I’m there, I sleep in her light and airy bedroom, and she sleeps on the sofa in her completely dark living room. No windows; no natural light there at all.

This time, same thing again: bad before I got there, basically fine when I was there (a few small hits), but very bad attacks right after I left—right after she had gone back to sleeping in her bedroom! Got hit at 2am, 4am, 6am, and 10am. Oxygen wasn’t enough for some of them and she had to resort to trex injections, which is rare for her.

So, as a test after three days she went back to sleeping in the completely dark living room. Attacks immediately down to one mild one per night, readily handled with O2.

Don’t ask me . . . It’s hard to imagine that some tiny amount of outside light in the middle of the night is affecting her so dramatically. But the difference is dramatic, and we haven’t thought of another explanation.  To be clear, there are curtains in her bedroom, but light still comes in when it's light outside.  But the middle of the night???

I'm glad your friend has found something that helps. Has she tried using a eye mask? I use one because I work swing shift, but unfortunately I don't notice much difference with light. Of course everyone is different. I'm also wondering if her sleep position is somewhat altered from one room to the other?

hmmm...wow.....light affects circadian rhythm...circadian rhythm is hypothalamus driven...ch is hypothalamus caused/related/connected.....perhaps this person is more light  sensitive than others...in which case...COOL...a possible mitigater for others..........

Best

Jon

You didn't sound cold-hearted to me, at all.  Your points were good and consistent with what I had been thinking, and I did think maybe it might help others.  I'll probably post it over in the "triggers" thread so, so it doesn't become as lost as it will here. 

Can you say what you learned about light effects as you mention in your post?  Same kind of thing -- that completely dark is better?

...thank you brother.....

...what I find most interesting...besides your post...is that another clusterhead and I have posted on ch.com that

before/during/or after a hit... we craved a DARK room...just sitting and thinking....a cigarette was a reward I used

"surviving". The smoking part may be inconsequential...and an oncologist made sure it was former...the "light" part...

.hmmmmmmm .........

Best

Jon

• Like 1