Emotional Support Animals?

Keyser

My chronic pain therapist recently suggested I get an emotional support animal (ESA) and frankly seemed let down that I wasn't into the suggestion. 

I have two dogs and a cat. One dog is scared of my oxygen and the sounds I make using it. If I'm honest, sometimes I'm so agitated during an attack I don't want them near me because I'm afraid I might hurt them. At times I've questioned if I could even care for them if my partner wasn't in the picture. 

I don't know what a service animal or ESA could do for someone with cluster. I feel the tingle in my head and I make a beeline to my oxygen. Having a dog with me just seems like it would make that take longer. 

Does anyone have experience with this? My therapist suggested I get the dog not afraid of my oxygen trained, but my thoughts are more along the lines of it's time for a new therapist that listens to what my condition parameters and life experiences actually are.

Welcome Keyser!

I have two dogs and a cat too. :) My cat comes with me every time I hit the O2. He lays about a about a foot away, not asking for pets or anything. Just keeps me company. He has his own house to sleep in, but always knows when I head to the office for a bit of O2. Some have dogs that are their CH partners. But, it seems that the animal chooses it.

However, I don't know that you could train one to keep you company but out of the way! They seem to just know. My dogs never even get up!

They are great for PTSD though.

• Like 1

Have had dogs and cats most of my life. Dogs have always stayed away until right when attack is over and then come out to comfort, they just seem to know.  Just said good bye to my cat a few months ago, I should probably get another. She was a tough cookie, would never run off and stay near, but not too close. She would always seem very composed even when I was hitting my worse. I know you could train dogs for just about anything but for CH I think it would take many years and not sure if it would be a benefit. 

• Like 1