Annieled

Has anyone heard of hot yoga triggering a cycle? It seems to be the culprit to my current clusters. I've never gotten them in the summer before. I can't find anything online to support this and was wondering if anyone has heard or experienced anything similar. I was thinking that the daily heat may have tricked my body into thinking it was dealing with severe weather change. I'm bummed because I was doing it 5-7 times a week and loving it since early May but about a month ago I started feeling attacks. Searching for any hope that I might be able to return to classes at some point but obviously not feeling this excruciating pain is my priority. And I will listen to my body (even though it will not look at tight and glowy without out my sweaty strechy time!) On steroids now and hoping they work. It's my 1st cycle with health insurance woooohoooo! Thanks so much, my partners in pain! lol if I hear one more person tell me I'm dehydrated or just stressed! 

p.s. I also have TMJ and deal with crazy bruxism every night. I've had 2 major blowout headaches (as well as the daily shorter ones) that have lasted over 5 hours in the past 10 days with multiple voms, not being able to stay still-don't think they're migraines because they follow the pattern of my cluster pain. 1st headache was a day after I decided, in full denial mode, to just try hot yoga one more time and the other I had done a moderate HIIT workout video but also consumed chocolate and bacon the day before. Whoops! Didn't realize! Both headaches woke me in the early morning and were the worst ones I've ever had in my life. I'm scared to exercise!!!! Hoping maybe regular yoga could be okay. 

Hi Annieled...welcome!

Exercise is one of those bizarre contradictions contained in the riddle that is CH. For some...heavy exertion can abort an attack...while for others it is a trigger. Never made any difference either way for me....but I did notice that barometric CHANGES (not high or low) but the actual SWIFT change was a sure trigger. Oddly...never had a problem with air travel.

Edited to add: heat all on its own is a trigger for some.

Maybe you can again yog during a different season. Do you have access to and a script for oxygen?...you may be able to have a tank standing by and abort as the hit comes up. There are many clusterheads who worship the little green headed buddy that is an O2 tank...truly a life SAVER and changer................

Best,

Jon

PS and btw.....I'll never forget the drunk coworker who diagnosed me.."yu got toooooo mush stresssssssshhhhh!" She was right about the stress but wrong about the etiology. And note....there are some who get at least some relief by indeed staying hydrated... if not "sloshed".

• Like 2

I have to agree that getting hot is a trigger for many, I think that a sow stretching form of yoga would be ok. We all want to maintain some feeling of control with this mess and that could help you do that.

I hope that you have a mouth guard for your bruxism! I would not think that all the grinding would be a good thing. As in you don't want to aggravate any of the Trigeminal Nerves. My mouth guard has to be replaced fairly often.

O2 should be your best friend!! You need to have 15 to  25plm and a non-rebreather mask. 100% O2, not a concentrator. You don't mention a doctor, so do you have one who could prescribe the O2 for you? Have you had a scan to rule out any abnormalities upstairs that could be an issue? Usually that scan is a MRI. And are you on any preventatives?

While I have not heard of heat 'triggering' a cycle, a negative response to getting hot can be the signal that a cycle has begun. Sort of like having a beer and getting hit right away. The beer signaled the beginning and is a trigger in cycle.I have had several cycles announce their presence by getting 'triggered' by something that I had no problem with the day before. It can certainly trigger a hit when in cycle!

And, just when we think that we 'know' the beast, it can change. Pretty sneaky it is.

• Like 2