Neuro said CH

Kleinsopp

Howdy folks!

Went to the neuro today. CH confirmed. Nice to know! Prolly migraine or tension ha, too.

Got suma inject and isoptin. I'm kind of sceptical, I've got the impression that meds are evil. But I'm gonna try them to see if they make life better.

Getting O2 in 2-3 weeks, probably, which I'm excited about. From what I read there are not any side-effects to talk about. Will be nice having something to take the edge off! :D

So hooray, now I know, atleast, what some of my pains are! :) It's progress!

Got to thank Tingeling for all the help, and you people for this place!

Now that neuro has confirmed suspicion and given meds I will feel more at home here, I think. Not just my own suspicion anymore.. :)

Now I'm gonna celebrate with a can of Red Bull!

It's a real good idea to have a diagnosis - congrats. There are so many possible secondary headache causes that can be life threatening that it's very reassuring to know what you have, even if it's as awful as CH. How much verapamil (isoptin) did they put you on? -T

Thanks :) It feels good to know. I've always tried to hide my headaches from friends and family because I didnt know what I it was(didnt want to whine). Now its much easier just saying "Its just the CH" if I'm in pain or down. :)

Starting at 120 mg morning and night. Double it if it has no effect, the neuro said.

Got positive experience with Vera?

The verapamil is a good short term fix but long term it has bad side effects. Low BP and pulse. Big time constipation and lethargy. Makes sex hard (not hard?) haha. To each his own. Other people seem to be able to tolerate high dose long term. Why are you putting the o2 off for weeks? Get an Optimask and 15 lpm flow and you will be a new man.

Mushrooms work for me, relatively speaking.

Good luck and welcome.

Dan

Hmm.. Neuro also said that, only use vera in high-cycle. Im never 100% off, always feeling the spear, just variation in degree of pain, never really knowing when Im low-cycle. Ill figure it out. But Im quitting if the "effects : bads" - ratio is off.

Waiting for wellfare(?).. I dont have to pay for the O2, just get it from the place (assistive central?) that gives people that stuff. Sick people get help in this country. I really appretiate that today. :) So Ill have to wait up to 3 weeks to get it, but thats no worry.. Ill manage until then. I have done so far.

Good for you that you got some help, even if the doctor just went for the fallback meds, which even they know are inefficient and largely ineffective. The O2 will help you the most.

I just felt compelled to preach once more: Verapamil is evil shit. It does nothing for you you cannot achieve yourself without side effects through meditation or lifestyle change. It is just pharm company bullshit off label usage that it is prescribed for CH in the first place.

We have what is essentially a metabolic/regulatory disorder and since the body will try to compensate when the BP is artificially lowered, verapamil just adds another layer to the multiple rebound effects we deal with. And it has a raft of its own unpleasant side effects, as well. Unless it is prescribed for hypertension (and there are better drugs for that, too) it is less than useless; its reflexive playbook prescribing by doctors who seem to want to use a bigger hammer instead of a smarter one.

But that is just my humble opinion.

Hi Ron. What I do is mostly a version of the pain management (and he says it is long term curative) technique described by Dr. David Dawkins.

Oddly, it sounds similar to what your son does. The basic principle is to not fight or resist, but to 'be' with the pain as fully as possible, accepting and loving 'it'. It is necessary to focus and not try and evade.

At times when I would be caught on the road, or a job site or anywhere I had no help, no time or no other means, I would just 'trance' myself through attacks. It wouldn't stop them, but it kept me sane. Sometimes if they kipped up really high, you would dissolve into the pain. It made for some interesting head trips, which would have been way more memorable without the tears and the snot.  If Dante Allighieri had clusters, that would totally explain The Inferno.

Noone seems to have nice things to say about vera. I've got some unpleasant side-effects myself and going back to the dr tomorrow to discuss it. (the secretary said I had to come in). Prolly gonna stop taking vera. I get pain in ankle, leg, hip, sticking and tingling. Also gotten alot of "needle" pinnings on the unCH side of my head. ++