O2 in the Chicago Metro Area/Oxygen Concentrator at Higher Flow Rates

drjparon

I'm looking for medical suppliers in the Chicago metro area who will fill a prescription for M-24 tanks for episodic cluster headaches. While our secondary insurance will cover the oxygen, Medicare will not. One leading supplier said they would not fill the O2 prescription because Medicare will deny the claim, even though Medicare will do a cross over billing to our secondary insurance.

Also, I am told that technology has improved for oxygen concentrators at higher flow rates. Does anyone have information about oxygen concentrators at 15 lpm?

Hi Dallas Denny,

Thanks for the reply back! Two follow up questions: Where did you purchase the tank? Is welding O2 safe to use as opposed to medical grade?

I had read concentrators don't deliver 100%, also. Evidently, a national company just produced a new one. While it outputs at a high flow rate, it may not deliver oxygen purity. I'm looking into it, though.

JP

You can purchase a tank at most welding supply shops. If you buy the tank, any O2 welding supplier will fill it for you. If you rent one, you must use that chain of stores.

As for the O2: The same O2 is supplied to medical as to welding is my understanding. After all, we don't want a 20 story building coming down due to contaminated O2 in the weld! The tanks however are different. It is a personal decision for each of us. Personally, welding O2 is all I have ever used.

I look forward to reading what you find out about the concentrator.

spiny

I'd bet that Psiloscribe can steer you right on this one, regarding Chicago-area medical O2 suppliers.  He might see this, but you can PM him from here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/user/17221-psiloscribe/.   He's in Lombard, and he knows everything about everything.

For welding O2, Airgas is a one possible O2 supplier.  www.airgas.com and then Find A Branch.  It's weird to me that they don't show which branches do medical and which do industrial . . . but I guess you can call and ask.  We also have used welding O2 for many years with no issues.

I you go for welding O2, don't ask for/about medical sizes (M, for example).  Welding tanks are generally designated by cubic feet.  I think an M tank is about 120 cu ft.  Since you have to pick up the tanks and return them for "refills," that's a lot to lug around.

G'mornin JP

Costs vary....In Texas, I paid $100 deposit for a large cylinder (approx 8" diameter and 50" tall), $6/mo lease, and $17/refill....my supplier in Okieland used to chg $100 deposit, $50/ year lease, and $20/refill....when I started a cycle last year he had quit leasing so I had to pay $300 for a tank and $20/refill.

Just don't let them know you intend to breathe it!

Medical and welding oxygen comes out of the same spigot...the only difference is that they purge medical tanks prior to refilling while with welding tanks they just Crack the valve and give it a sniff test.

I've been huffin it since 2009 with no ill effect.

DD

No doubt easier access would be too logical!!!

Headache on the Hill is an annual trip to DC to get medical O2 added to Medicare for CH among other things. CHers meet with Congressmen and women to raise awareness and improve our treatment. This year will be the fourth trip I think and we owe many thanks to those who go. Participation is open to all and is encouraged. Look under Advocacy board for more info. They should be planning the next trip (in the spring of 17) later this year.