Great DIY O2 Tank Racks

ThatHurtsMyHead

All,

Thought I'd post pics of an O2 tank rack I've installed on my boat.  I always bring O2 out with me when going offshore.  The tanks have always been a pain in the A, due to rolling around, getting in the way, or having to be constantly moved, due to divers getting gear / putting up gear etc.

SOLUTION!!!   :)

I found that the 4" PVC couplers Lowes / Home Depot, ACE Hardware etc sell fit the O2 'E' tank PERFECTLY.. :0  In the pic below I've fabricated a 2 tank rack with the tanks horizontal on a bulkhead.  The bottom of the tank racks use a 4" PVC end cap.  The other end is a 4" PVC coupling with the small ridge inside the coupling filed away.  All the screws are #10, 100 degree angled head stainless screws counter sunk.  The couplers are attached together with #10, 1/2 inch 100 degree head, stainless screws also counter sunk with a pilot hole.  You'll have to countersink the screws due to the screwheads blocking the tank from sliding in.  

This is the second time I installed this mount.  The first time I only used screws on the bulkhead and it tore out the first time out due to the boat hitting waves.  This permutation, I've also attached the rack to the top and to each other.  It's significantly stronger this go around. :)

This type of rack could be installed about anywhere we need to keep our 'E' tanks handy, but out of the way (closet, behind a sofa in the living room etc.).  The couplers could easily be used vertically on the wall etc.  The 'E' tanks fit perfectly inside the PVC with no additional clearance to move around.  I have one of those metal rolling tank racks that just stays in the closet as it easily falls over, is cumbersome and makes the room look like a hospital...  :wacko:

PFW to All,

J

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...