Status of clinical trials slated forVeterans Affairs Hospital in West Haven, Connecticut

Thanks, Freud. I was hoping that the trials would be concluded and that the conclusion was that psilocybin was effective. Then we would be one step closer to real relief. I was much too far away to participate (Wyoming) plus I'm two years past the maximum age. I thought that Clusterbusters was helping recruit participants and so was hoping for some insight thereby.

I have had CH for 50 years, exactly. The past 10 years have been chronic. I haven't busted, yet. It eludes me to put some magic together. Attempted to grow some once and flopped. It just seems so involved to put it together, the specialized equipment, obscure sourcing, the very elaborate procedures. If a Yale affiliate were to confirm psilocybin's efficacy, then busting would be easier.

I think I can help simplify things for you for your first grow. It’s mainly a game of patience. Growing with bulk substrate in a mono tub yields a lot depending on genitics. If the research moves you in that direction feel free to contact me. 

Cheers

brian

Sounds good.  Keep in mind Its about a 3-4 month process.  Check out my post on the subject, the grow bag method is what I usually suggest for a first timer.  Check out my post on "Alternative grow methods for MM". I tried to paste the link here but I get a 403 forbidden message.  Have fun traveling!

• 5 months later...

Hey, Mr is my father. Nice to see you’re having success. You want to harvest just before the veil breaks or just after for max potency and make sure they don’t drop spores and over grow. They will just look unappealing but work fine if they go to long. At any rate your question:

For most people a standard chronic abortive bust goes as follows  

1 make sure you’re not on anything that can block the mm from working ?  Do you take any “triptans”  ie. Sumatriptan/ Imatrex?  Any psych meds either for on label or off label use? Topamax, lithium, just to name a few  

2. You’re going to need to obstain from the drugs in 1 until you’re detoxed (5.5 half lives, google half life of your drug and multiply by 5.5 to get elimination time then divide by 24 to get number of days. ). Except for triptans/ imatrex, you need 5 day detox. 

The bust:  as a rule of thumb most people require what we call a threshold dose of mm. One where you feel the effects (body high, all smiles, buzz going on, vivid colors, shimmering shadows) but not a dose so strong that you’re actually tripping. This can usually be achieved by taking 1.0-1.5g of mm. You should take them on a fairly empty stomach, I make a tea (mm hit faster and stronger, effects may last a little shorter).  This will usually result in a 3-5hr experience. 

To bust properly, you take a threshold dose 3 times 5 days apart. So if your first bust is Monday your second bust would be sat, and the last bust the next Thursday. 

Since you are chronic it can take more than 3 busts to tame the beast. Once you are able to achieve a remission your next challenge is preventively dosing so you prevent them from coming back and stay pain free the whole time. Some people wait for the CH to return but myself and others would rather dose once a month to once a week (everyone is different) to keep the CCH away. It seems rare to me but Bob and others have reported six months to a year remission from one round of busting (3 doses 5days apart). My story and lack of success has to do with a blocking med I was on but I plan on dosing once a week to once a month when I’m finally detoxed to prevent the beast. It’s easier to prevent than abort. 

Hope this helps ask any questions you might have. 

Thank you for your prompt, thorough and steadfast responses.

With regard to measuring the weight for doses, are those dry weights? 

Is there a difference, in strength, between individual shrooms? I have Huautla/Oaxaca and Hairy Buffaloes.

You mentioned a lack of success due to a blocking med. My staple med is lithium. I hate it but it does offer consistent, although limited, relief. Any relief from this beast is welcome. What is your med? What degree of relief have you found? Do you, or does anyone, share this self-help regimen with their physicians?

Thanks, again.

Woah!!!  You’re putting the cart before the horse if you’re on lithium and you’re close to busting. YOU CANNOT BUST WHILE ON LITHIUM!!!  Lithium can potentiate the effects of all psychedelics and can lead to an extremely dangerous cascade of events. Are you on it for CH?  The med I was referring to was not for treating CH it is for bipolar disorder primary feature mania. It’s called invega trinza.  It take 16.5 months to be eliminated from my system.  Not all meds that don’t play well with mm are blockers case in point lithium. 

As far as the mm go those are dry weights used here on this site. Dry wt is aprix one tenth that of wet. So if you have 100g wet you will get 10g dry from it. So if you wanted to use wet/fresh mm to bust with you would use 10-15g wet. You can make tea with wet mm just the same way as you do with dry mm. You just need to cut up the mm finely with a knife. I find eating them wet to taste foul. Dry I can munch the shit out of them I just prefer the tea bc it hits you in 10-15 min rather than 30-45min if you eat them. I discuss the use of psychedelics with all my docs, they are all supportive. My headache doc was offering me the Yale study but I told him my mm were almost ready during my first appointment with him.  Almost forgot  all of the strains you have should have similar psilocybin levels.  Penis envy, albino penis envy, KSSS (a Thai strain), and non cubensas psilocybin contains mm are stronger than your average cube  

As as far as your questions about relief everyone gets different results, there are averages and extremes. On the extremes you get those that get a few days to a week pain free (PF) from a bust, then there are those that get 6-12 months PF up to years is the longest I’ve heard. There is no doubt they work and in my opinion have the best success rate next to the Vitamin D regimen. 

Thanks, Freud, for your sustained support. It will be a long time before I bust. As a CCH'er, to go without lithium is to ask for a CH. The neurologist that I've been seeing for about 10 years, specializes in headaches. When I broached mms with her, about  8 years, ago, she was dead set against it. I'll ask her, again. The lithium is killing me. Gamma core was a bomb. Perhaps emgality or aimovig hold promise.

Have you tried Verapamil as a preventative instead of the lithium? You can take this at a sumwhat lower dose and bust at the same time. What else do you use to abort your attacks? Oxygen D3 regimen also woll help cut down on your daily clusters, have you had your vitamin levels checked to see if you are D3 deficient?Check out this link for info on that

https://vitamindwiki.com/Cluster+headaches+substantially+reduced+by+10,000+IU+of+Vitamin+D+in+80+percent+of+people

"When I broached mms with her, about  8 years, ago, she was dead set against it ."

I had the same response from my neuro about 10 years ago (been his patient 34 years).  3 years ago I told my Doc what I was doing with busting, he has been extremely supportive.

• 1 month later...

All you need to do is call the number listed and take a short interview. Dr Schindler will then need to call your neurologist and confirm that you do have clusters. I had a neurologist at the time so that is the number I gave her to call, I can only assume that your pcp can fulfill this requirement. Here is the linnk to the study: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02981173?cond=Cluster+Headache&cntry=US&rank=6

Contacts

Contact: Emmanuelle Schindler, MD, PhD 203-932-5711 ext 4335 emmanuelle.schindler@yale.edu  
Contact: Christina Luddy, BS 203-932-5711 ext 4549 christina.luddy@yale.edu