Jump to content

"Save" on your oxygen for next to nothing


Recommended Posts

 

Hi All,:)

I made this thing to control the flow of oxygen instantly so I don't let it waste away when I'm breathing out. So everytime I breath in, I press the trigger. It releases oxygen. Then while I hold the oxygen in I can let go of the trigger and tank will stop. So it doesn't keep flowing for nothing. It will save me by 50% if the tank and therefore each tank will last longer.

I could have found a smaller press valve or switch, but I found this to be working so effectively and just a slight squeeze of a trigger. 

Note that the pipe from the tank to the gun must be thicker for obvious reasons.

Also I know this tank is miniature. Cycle just begun, so my big tank is arriving today.

Just an idea I thought off that might help others. Probably others came up with this too. But anyways. Costed me R30 here in SA which should be about 2 dollars. 

I can't upload a video to show it working cos of the size of the file. But I think you get the idea. 

Pain free wishes to all.

Snowflake :)IMG_20201210_123655.thumb.jpg.8963a79d4a5d8740dfa75d43d9a4f0d7.jpg

IMG_20201210_121435.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

...when i was young and poor and tormented by the fools at the so called health insurance companies, i dreamed of one day being able to afford a "demand valve" which were (and are?) hundreds of dollars...i got along without....but this woulda been nice.....

.....am reminded of the $500 Texas Instrument scientific calculator, big and heavy as a brick, i used to make special trips to the store to drool over with the same "some day" thoughts....now they give those away..

....nicely done Snowflake...a very practical real world solution.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snowflake said:

Then while I hold the oxygen in I can let go of the trigger and tank will stop. So it doesn't keep flowing for nothing. It will save me by 50% if the tank and therefore each tank will last longer.

I like what you did with the valve!!!   My daughter also has one (store-bought) and she loves it, so I'm not  knocking it.

But this is a question I have to keep asking.  If you have the proper kind of mask (a non-rebreather with a reservoir bag that holds the oxygen until you're ready to breathe it), which looks like what you have from the photo, you're not losing the O2 that comes in while you have inhaled and are holding it in -- that's the O2 that you use for your next inhale.  It's the same O2, and roughly the same amount, that you get when you pull the trigger.  You might be saving some O2, but I would say that it's far from 50%.

I would love to be clearly corrected if I'm wrong about this. My belief is that whether you inhale from the bag or on demand, you are still using roughly the same amount of O2, except for what might be lost from some kind of leakage in the non-demand system.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jon019 said:

...when i was young and poor and tormented by the fools at the so called health insurance companies, i dreamed of one day being able to afford a "demand valve" which were (and are?) hundreds of dollars...i got along without....but this woulda been nice.....

.....am reminded of the $500 Texas Instrument scientific calculator, big and heavy as a brick, i used to make special trips to the store to drool over with the same "some day" thoughts....now they give those away..

....nicely done Snowflake...a very practical real world solution.....

Thank you jon019. I really appreciate it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CHfather said:

I like what you did with the valve!!!   My daughter also has one (store-bought) and she loves it, so I'm not  knocking it.

But this is a question I have to keep asking.  If you have the proper kind of mask (a non-rebreather with a reservoir bag that holds the oxygen until you're ready to breathe it), which looks like what you have from the photo, you're not losing the O2 that comes in while you have inhaled and are holding it in -- that's the O2 that you use for your next inhale.  It's the same O2, and roughly the same amount, that you get when you pull the trigger.  You might be saving some O2, but I would say that it's far from 50%.

I would love to be clearly corrected if I'm wrong about this. My belief is that whether you inhale from the bag or on demand, you are still using roughly the same amount of O2, except for what might be lost from some kind of leakage in the non-demand system.

Hi Chfather,

Thank you for the compliment. I hear what you saying. Yet the mask is the non rebreather mask. Yet I found I was still losing O2 while holding in my lungs. Out of habit I tend to hold it in as long as I can. Hence the bag over fills and spills out up to my eyes and through the sides of me face thereby losing some O2. I find it is working for me regarding my method of taking O2. I used thread tape on all the connections to avoid O2 loss and It worked. It important part was having a good gauge pipe from tank to the gun as the pressure is similar to an air compressor. So I guess after the attack I can blow out "beast residue"  my face. (Kidding) I know I could lower the Fossett on the tank but I was being experimental and trying to have fun with some ideas. I just wanted to share as I was proud of what I did. Lol. I'm sorry if I am replying again. I typed and for some reason everything I typed seemed as if it didn't go through. I received my 4.6kg tank yesterday. It came to R1380.00 here in SA . Plus I have to pay R217.00 per month for rental. This was private. My medical insurance authorised O2 for me but failed to acknowledge the size of the tank I required and gave me that small one in the picture which is a 1.8kg. nevertheless, I won't complain since now I have 2 tanks. The small one will by nifty to use when mobile. Plus it's paid my medical insurance. Something is better than nothing right? Thank you for taking time to reply to my post. I really appreciate it very much and pain free wish always. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...