2 Welding O2 Questions

Mjedwards409

My wife (the sufferer) and I moved from Atlanta to South Carolina 2 years ago. She’s two weeks into her first cycle since 2019. We had two big M medical tanks full from her last cycle plus Clusterkit mask so she’s been able to manage. First tank is virtually empty, about to switch to second.

Having a hell of a time getting an updated O2 prescription. Even if we did no one around us will refill her medical tanks, and we’ve called every medical O2 place within 100 miles and the largest they have is E tanks. 

Thinking about making the move to welders O2.

Had two questions which I THINK I know the answers to from searching, but just want to make sure.

- Will the regulator (pictured) work on a welding tank if it’s currently on an M size medical tank? (Label of tank actually says MM)

- I know welding tanks are in CF instead of labeled with letters. What’s the most comparable to an M tank? Just looking at some charts i’m guessing 125 CF or so?

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.jpg.24da8f854bdf9b67610f04fdf14f64be.jpg

@Mjedwards409, yes, this regulator will work on a weld ox cylinder (CGA-540 fittings).

Unsure of the designation of welding vs medical cylinders.....my rig is approximately 9" diameter and 48" tall.

When I still lived in Texas I had a weld ox supplier who leased tanks with a $50 deposit and $6/mo fee...refills/exchange were $18.  When I moved to Oklahoma several years ago I was unable to find a supplier who leased so had to buy the cylinder for $300 and exchanges are $23.

Just make sure not to let the supplier know that you intend to breathe it!!

DD

• Like 3

A sight that is both joyful and sad at the same time.   Good going!

Does she have the little open holes in her mask (if it's a standard non-rebreather) covered so no outside air gets in when she's inhaling?  I'm sure you also know that if 15lpm isn't enough (so that she doesn't have to wait for the bag to re-fill before she inhales), you can get a welding reg for $30-$40 at amazon.

Do you have a cart for moving that thing around?

Edited by CHfather

2 hours ago, CHfather said:

A sight that is both joyful and sad at the same time.   Good going!

Does she have the little open holes in her mask (if it's a standard non-rebreather) covered so no outside air gets in when she's inhaling?  I'm sure you also know that if 15lpm isn't enough (so that she doesn't have to wait for the bag to re-fill before she inhales), you can get a welding reg for $30-$40 at amazon.

Do you have a cart for moving that thing around?

Appreciate the note. Yeah we have the clusterkit mask so she’s good there. 15lpm seems to do the trick for most hits. She’s had a few stubborn ones that take a bit longer but the O2 place is 30 mins away so we’re trying to also consider sucking it all up too fast. We’re going to play around with it. We’ve used medical O2 for a bit so we’re used to the process. No cart but 99% of the hits are nocturnal so it just sits right beside the bed.

• Like 1