ClusterBusters
Sign in to follow this  
cludster

A question fellow clusterheads: sleep and appetite

I have had bad headaches since I was a teenager and was only recently diagnosed with clusters. But I have also had another disabling problem since I was a child: namely the need for 10 to 12 hours of sleep  every night. I can't nap. If I do not get that amount of sleep I am constantly groggy and coffee doesn't wake me up but instead makes me tired and hyper, and I am more prone to a cluster later that night. I also go to sleep at 2am or later. If I try to sleep earlier I just sleep longer and do not wake up any earlier. I also do not have much of an appetite even though I work out with weights and am fit and muscular. I do eat a superfood diet so I was thinking that has been suppressing my appetite. Now I am convinced that my sleepiness and lack of appetite are connected to the same hypothalamus malfunction that is part of cluster syndrome. BTW my cluster headaches last for hours - never minutes. I am familiar with recent sleep studies that claim the old belief that people only need 6-8 hrs is false. Some people seem to need more - but is this a hypothalamus malfunction again?

Anyhow I am just wondering of any of you have similar issues with sleep and appetite. The clusters and the excessive need for sleep have prevented me from achieving a number of major life goals and its getting worse even though I'm in my 40s. Your thoughts would be appreciated.  :);)

Lack of appetite or anorexia can be a hypo. problem.

It also affects or controls sleep/wake cycle.

My first thought is get a sleep study done. Some of your complaints sound like apnea symptoms....just a thought.

bb