Could this really be true????

bobbypots

Hello, I just recently joined this forum seeking any sort of help and advice.  As with everyone here, I have tried and would try ANYTHING that may provide relief.  I'd like to share my (possible) success.  In the past I have tried several treatment options in the past and nothing has proved successful, but yesterday at the onset of an attack I took this combo: 1200 mcg melatonin, 10 mg rizatriptan, 800 mg ibuprofen and 200 mg of caffeine...the pain disappeared in a matter of minutes.  The next attack I did the same and again it worked.  It has worked for 4 attacks now and one of those was the worst kind that wake you from a dead sleep.  Right now I feel like dancing in the street!  Can someone else try this combo and see if it helps them as well?     :D  Thanks!  my email is bobbypotsllc@comcast.net

Welcome bobby!!

Many take melatonin at night to help with nighttime attacks. And most use caffeine or an Energy drink combined with O2 to abort attacks at any time.

How often can you take your triptans? Usually its' use is limited to twice per 24 hours.

spiny

Bobby,

I don't mean to be a downer, but I just looked Rizatriptan up.  There's warnings all over the place, that it's not to be used for treating CH. 

"Rizatriptan is used for:  Treating migraine headaches with or without aura (eg, flashing lights, wavy lines, dark spots). It should not be used to prevent migraines or to treat cluster headaches."

"Do NOT use rizatriptan if: you have certain types of migraine headache (hemiplegic, basilar)"

"Before using rizatriptan: 

Some medical conditions may interact with rizatriptan.

if you have a history of other types of headaches (eg, cluster headaches)"

I don't doubt it's helping you, but I'd think they found something in the drug trails that it does something to 'us' with CH that's seriously bad, for them to have warnings all over the place not to use for CH.

J

Rizatriptan (Maxalt) has been prescribed to abort CH's for at least 15 years that I know of - perhaps longer.

It's another Triptan similar to Imitrex, Zomig, Relpax, Frova, Amerge, etc. Some of the various forms of this class of drug work quite well for some CH'ers but not others.

My personal experience with it was good, covering a 14 year span. Only if I took it at the very, very first hint of an attack along with caffeine - then hit the O2 tank. Once an attack had progressed - it was too late. 

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
There's warnings all over the place, that it's not to be used for treating CH.  

I would be tempted to ignore this warning.  Rizatriptan has been used off label for clusters for a whole lot of people for years.  I'm pretty sure the only reason they do not say the same warning for Imitrex is that there have been studies on Imitrex and clusters, but not with Rizatriptan.  The other warnings (hemiplegic migraine, etc...)are the same with sumatriptan and are because of an increased risk of stroke.

1200 mcg melatonin, 10 mg rizatriptan, 800 mg ibuprofen and 200 mg of caffeine...the pain disappeared in a matter of minutes. 

This to me is kinda weird, because it is pretty rare for a drug to work that quickly.  Might be worth looking into how quickly each of these drugs is getting into your system, melatonin in particular gets working very quickly.  My point being, you may not need all the drugs in that combo.  In particular, I have trouble believing that the ibuprofen is working that quick and can be harsh on your guts, you may not need it.  Who knows though, maybe all together they are having a synergistic effect and kicking in super quick....

-Ricardo