Seltzer helping you too?

Alankoontz

I have a history of cluster headaches (about 8 years). Recently, I have found that drinking a small amount (about half a cup) of seltzer that has small bubbles immediately before going to bed every night has helped. This seems odd--why would seltzer help? Has anyone had a similar experience? If not, try it right before going to sleep and let me know. Any ideas as to why it might help? Thanks.

Welcome Alan...this is a great place to be for a clusterhead..............

Total guess..... perhaps you are altering your body/blood ph to a more ch resistant state.....Batch should be along to comment on that....

...also...I have found that energy drinks work better (for me) with carbonation (faster absorption). Is this plain seltzer you use?

Best

Jon

As a follow-up post, I also take vitamins: in morning, 1000 mcg methylcobalamin B-12 and 200 mg high absorption chelated magnesium (every other day to reduce impact on gut); at lunch, 5000 IU vit D3 and a multivitamin for people over age 65; at night before bed, 5 mg melatonin (slow release). I've been taking these for about three years. 

Do folks take other vitamins to prevent or lessen cluster headaches? 

Alank', there's the full vitamin d3 regimen, which you can read about here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/1308-d3-regimen/ 

Incidentally, there was a fellow here who recommended a mix of baking soda, water, and lime juice as an abortive.  Said he thinks it works for him.  I don't know whether I'm right that water + baking soda = something fizzy (not necessarily carbonated).  Your initial post just made me think of this.

The following link to a post I made in 2012, should help explain how and why a baking soda tonic helps prevent CH.  Seltzer Water and the Baking Soda Tonic both produce the same bicarbonate ion, HCO3- per the following chemical formulas, but that's where the similarity ends.  Seltzer Water has a pH between 3 and 4 due to the carbonic acid formed when CO2 is dissolved in water under pressure.  A solution of sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda Tonic) has a pH of 9.3 making it far more alkaline.  In fact, the carbonate concentration of the baking soda tonic is 100 times that of the carbonic acid making it more effective in elevating a low systemic pH and in the process, preventing CH.

Seltzer Water (Carbonic Acid) has the chemical formula   CO2 + H2O <-> H2CO3 <->  H+  HCO3-

Baking Soda Tonic (Sodium Bicarbonate) has the chemical formula        NaHCO3 <-> Na+ HCO3-

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1291969416/1025/#1025

In case you're wondering...  I majored in Chemistry...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 4:23 AM, Batch said:

The following link to a post I made in 2012, should help explain how and why a baking soda tonic helps prevent CH.  Seltzer Water and the Baking Soda Tonic both produce the same bicarbonate ion, HCO3- per the following chemical formulas, but that's where the similarity ends.  Seltzer Water has a pH between 3 and 4 due to the carbonic acid formed when CO2 is dissolved in water under pressure.  A solution of sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda Tonic) has a pH of 9.3 making it far more alkaline.  In fact, the carbonate concentration of the baking soda tonic is 100 times that of the carbonic acid making it more effective in elevating a low systemic pH and in the process, preventing CH.

Seltzer Water (Carbonic Acid) has the chemical formula   CO2 + H2O <-> H2CO3 <->  H+  HCO3-

Baking Soda Tonic (Sodium Bicarbonate) has the chemical formula        NaHCO3 <-> Na+ HCO3-

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Thanks so much, Batch. That's really full and complete information.

Cheers!

Alan

On 11/16/2017 at 4:23 AM, Batch said:

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Thanks so much, Batch. That's really full and complete information.

Cheers!

Alan