Dr. Nutt

blueballs

"There was a notorious 2002 study in which MDMA was supposedly given to monkeys in an equivalent dose to that taken by users and it caused death and Parkinson’s disease.  But, it turned out that the drug used was actually methamphetamine in an overdose…

That was one of the worse examples of scientific corruption I have ever seen.   When they tried to publish that paper, the referees said that there’s something wrong.  It was rejected by Science, but one of your senators put pressure on Science [to publish it].  It really was a low point we knew it was wrong, but we didn’t know why it wrong."

The schmuck responsible for this study (George Ricaurte)  should be in jail.

http://www.maps.org/mdma/studyresponse.html

The schmuck responsible for this study (George Ricaurte)  should be in jail.

http://www.maps.org/mdma/studyresponse.html

I totally agree with you Ricardo.   He retracted his statement 3 years after the fact but the damage was already done and the retraction wasn't released to the public like the study was.  In 2002 it was on the news at least once a week how bad MDMA was.  I am not saying people didn't die from taking ecstasy back then because they did but they were getting it from drug dealers that would mix MDMA with many different drugs.  If you could get Ecstasy at a pharmacy and was regulated  by the FDA the drug would be less harmful than 90% of prescription drugs on the market.  It is disheartening to see things like this happen.

CH