RELPAX DETOX

dainbread

Well, it would be a shame to give in now, after the hell you've been thru. But at the same time you must be careful.

I don't know much about PCs or Triptons.

You sound better.

The SPUTS are usually dried---- not fresh.

We have a good question to ask, about replax detox, if anyone else wakes up.

Are you drinking lots of water?   Nurse Ratchet

Well, it would be a shame to give in now, after the hell you've been thru. But at the same time you must be careful.

I don't know much about PCs or Triptons.

You sound better.

The SPUTS are usually dried---- not fresh.

We have a good question to ask, about replax detox, if anyone else wakes up.

Are you drinking lots of water?   Nurse Ratchet

trying to drink water yes, just got hungry and ate. YES THANK GOD or someone cuz I am feeling better. 

I didn't realize, yes, about withdrawing after 10 years, could be a concern and the best would be to talk about it with a doctor I guess...

But from what I read here, I wouldn't worry too much about neither drug interactions nor about adverse effects from withdrawing.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/relpax.html

Although the abuse potential of Relpax has not been assessed, no abuse of, tolerance to, withdrawal from, or drug-seeking behavior was observed in patients who received Relpax in clinical trials or their extensions. The 5-HT1B/1D agonists, as a class, have not been associated with drug abuse.

Concomitant use of other 5-HT1 agonists within 24 hours of Relpax treatment is not recommended (see CONTRAINDICATIONS).

Ergot-containing drugs

Ergot-containing drugs have been reported to cause prolonged vasospastic reactions. Because these effects may be additive, use of ergotamine-containing or ergot-type medications (like dihydroergotamine [DHE] or methysergide) and eletriptan within 24 hours of each other is not recommended

The elimination half-life of eletriptan is about 4 hours

While eletriptan has an effect on CYP2D6 at high concentration, this effect should not interfere with metabolism of other drugs when eletriptan is used at recommended doses. There is no in vitro or in vivo evidence that clinical doses of eletriptan will induce drug metabolizing enzymes. Therefore, eletriptan is unlikely to cause clinically important drug interactions mediated by these enzymes.

The N-demethylated metabolite of eletriptan is the only known active metabolite. This metabolite causes vasoconstriction similar to eletriptan in animal models. Though the half-life of the metabolite is estimated to be about 13 hours, the plasma concentration of the N-demethylated metabolite is 10–20% of parent drug and is unlikely to contribute significantly to the overall effect of the parent compound.

I'm pretty sure what this all means is you're pretty safe tappering off Relpax, they actually recommend it somwhere on this page, and that there will not be interactions with a SPUT, as long as it's been 24 hours you took Relpax last.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course, anyone

It has been 24hrs. And I did taper "kinda" for many years unless it was working for my CH I only ate 1/2 a pill @ bedtime which is 20mg.  If I ever only took 10mgs I would wake with a wopper and have to eat a whole one. You know once the headache took a hold it required an entire 40mg.

The only reason I even ate one EVERY NIGHT before bed- was like I say I would wake with a wopper.

I will say I did it to prevent the rebound. I am happy Im off them now, well hopefully anyway.

My wife's Fruit loop box with the bird on it looks very silly to me right now..  SPUT!

I don't see anything about adverse effects or warnings about withdrawing, only this, which says in clear Relpax can cause rebound headaches and that withdrawal can be necessary

Medication Overuse Headache

Overuse of acute migraine drugs (e.g. ergotamine, triptans, opioids, or combinations of these drugs for 10 or more days per month) may lead to exacerbation of headache (medication overuse headache). Medication overuse headache may present as migraine-like daily headaches or as a marked increase in frequency of migraine attacks. Detoxification of patients, including withdrawal of the overused acute migraine drugs and treatment of withdrawal symptoms (which often includes a transient worsening of headache) may be necessary.

But it says Relpax increases blood pressure, so if you cut off it, your blood pressure will go down, and since that's also what Verapamil does, I would consider reducing verapamil dosage.

Actually, you should consult a specalist on this tomorrow if possible

But I see no reason for not to try a SPUT if you took your last Relpax dose 24 hours ago and more

I don't know how to thank you and everyone enough.

I will call my Nero tomorrow or at a minimum his advise nurse.  It kinda sounds like tomorrow morning I maybe in for the same thing by what I read from your Copy paste, but im tired so it all maybe lost in translation for me right  now...

I dunno and Pray Not. 

I still put the ch attacks I have had in the past 4 weeks the Hail Marry of all 20yrs total and many cycles where not pretty.  These have been viscous and very alarming to my well being.

Maybe my age increase and my and endurance loss makes these seem worse...

I duuno can you die twice? That's a joke, but in my eyes a little of me dies with every hit anymore... This type of pain should be reserved for your last day here..

I am so tired and beat up, I still have a foggy bit of a headache, but I think I can get some sleep.

I will keep everyone posted in hopes all this helps others- that may find themselves in my shoes someday with Relpax.. Again THANK YOU ALL

Well its 2:30am NORCAL TIME.  I guess my day is not over yet. I cant sleep, I'm wired to the hilt after fighting the good fight against the RELPAX Monster.

I did the SPUT and it had little to no affect on my person that I could feel.  My head finally calmed down enough to start relaxing and turn on the tube.  I have been to bed 4 times and I just cant get it done!!

So a hot shower, some typing and maybe I can burn myself out.....

I think this is one of the few scenario's where I would recommend narcotics if you can handle them.  They are known for giving people rebound headaches themselves, but in my experience the rebounds from narcotics did not seem to come as easily or as severely as the ones I would get from triptans.

Might even be a good case for a week of prednisone.

Both of these can cause rebounds and potentially could block a potential bust that you go for afterwords, but you would no longer be experiencing the rebounds from the triptans.  Might be easier, might not.

As far as I've seen, seratonin syndrome is a theoretical risk in this scenario of SPUT combined with triptan, one that I believe at least one guru here (Ricardo) has disregarded. I believe he'll inject imitrex to abort a CH attack right during a high dose M bust, with no ill effects

This is true, but I will say that the reason I really feel this way is that I have never heard of a case where a person got serotonin syndrome and they were not on SSRI's or some other long term serotonin boosting drug.  Usually I would think that Relpax would not be included in this group of drugs, but it would not surprise me at all if daily Relpax  for 10 years was giving you an SSRI like action.

That being said, I was in a similar situation a few years back.  I was not on daily Relpax for 10 years, probably closer to 2 years.  I do not remember the specifics, but I do remember that busting just wasn't working at first.  It would completely abort the headache, but towards the end of the trip I would always get a crushing cluster and eventually go for the triptans. 

Unfortunately I think the only thing that got me off it was DMT, but there has to be another way.  Nitrous Oxide might help but it can be hard to get...

I'll keep thinking, keep your head up...There's got to be a solution for you.

-Ricardo

...could be. They are more devastating for me now than they were 30 years ago, even if back then I had no means to lower the pain and actually went to Kip 10 most of the time.

But I must say what compensates for this endurance loss and black cloud invading my thoughts is this board here. It really makes a difference to have support like there is here.

You posted yesterday this is not a usual message board... that's right, it's much more than that.

Hang in there and keep posting, I'm certain like most of us you can find some relief and especially be very glad you're off these terrible meds.

today with a clear'er head I will re read everything in depth. yesterday was tuff.  I did not get much sleep but I woke with just a tiny tiny twinge in my right eye.  A blessing if you ask me, and I'll take a twinge anytime!!

The relpax issues maybe behind me now. I have a feeling they may have been causing so many issues in the background as well.  A new day, a new way, Its going to take some time to reboot and make changes. This was huge step in the right direction.  I have so much to do today but will be checking in and out.

So many of you have so much of the same things going on. Its very heart warming having all of you in my corner.

I dunno, my impression is that for some of us they do just plain become more intense over the decades. I try not to say that too often, so as not to scare younger CH'ers about what the future could hold. With the advent of busting etc. I think they'll fare much better with treating these buggers.

This is the best info on Relpax that I could come up with searching with google:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=85745375-fcb6-4edc-b6db-a77b4a5f3e8c

I highly recommend you talk to your neuro today.

Bobb

Good gosh I am so happy im off those things!  I did not understand most of it- but what I did understand scared me. I am fine and doing better than I have in months. I am at peace with myself and all my horrible thoughts are behind me.  It was a tuff break up me and the PAX.  But its over Thank God.  Hopefully anyway, who knows what damage I have done to myself from them. BUT I am not going to worry, whats done is done and I continue to flush my system and regenerate it with juicing- kale, ginger, lots of dark greens fruits,etc.  OK basically POND SCUM, LOL it is pure goodness tho.  The MM deal gave me a complete different outlook and I feel cleansed of unhealthy feelings.

Thank heaven for everyone here that cared.  It may not all be over -but Im on the correct track, I know this. 

Well another night of NO CH or morning Migraine!!

After looking at all the side effects of Relpax Alleyoop posted (thank you) I got tinnitus a few years ago, drives me nuts.

Relpax can cause it and no doctor ever told me during any tests that Relpax can cause it.  They just said you have  Tinnitus.  Maybe it will go away now.