tomato sauce

bigfoot

BF,

Don't think the sauce is a trigger. Next time add mushrooms and some hot peppers. The peppers will clear your head.

Leslie

Sorry about the beer. I'm thinking a coffee with Irish Cream would be great right now, but think water is the best bet. Or Red Thunder.

I avoid tomatoes like the plague while in cycle. I've been hit bad after tomatoe-based meals/sauces. I also avoid nitrates, and common "histamine foods" such as spinach.

I'm not sure if avoiding the histamine foods is helping, but it can't hurt.

Doese tomato sauce act as a trigger for anybody else?Had spagetti last night and damn on 2nd bag of ice 

nitrates have been known to be a trigger. maybe theres some kind of sausage in the sauce? 

Yes, tomato sauce can be a trigger along with many other foods while your in a cycle. For instance, bar-b-q sauce is one of mine. And nitrates is one of mine which is found in just about everything out there because it's a preservative most commonly seen as mono-nitrate. You'll see it in cereal, crackers, ready made dinners, cold cuts, chips, like Johnny was saying differnt sausages, breakfast, even the pepperoni than goes on your pizza, I'm telling you, more stuff than you could possibly imagine. Be sure to read labels if you think it might be a trigger for you. Although food triggers vary from person to person, some of the more common food triggers are chocolate, bananas, soy products, citrus fruits, fermented fruits, and beans and typically because of digestion, you'll notice that with food triggers, it takes about 12hours for them to trigger a headache. So a good practice if you think a one might be a trigger is to eat foods you know for a fact aren't triggers, eat one you think might be for lunch, and then if you don't have any problems later than night you can mark that particular food off your list of potential triggers. Hope this helps.

Not that he is the absolute authority that some make him out to be, but this is what Peter Goadsby had to say on the subject recently:

"For all his compassion, though, Goadsby has no time for what he considers foolish North American assumptions that many types of food are primary headache fodder, nitrate-laden hot dogs being the one obvious exception. Part of beating headaches, he insists, is knowing the truth about them."

http://www.ucsf.edu/science-cafe/conversations/hope-for-headaches-a-conversation-with-headache-expert-peter-goadsby

bb

Interesting article for the casual reader who's never had a HA but really you could learn more on this board in the time it took me to read this interview. No mention of any direction for treatments and he didn't even answer how many patients he sees. I'm sure I could find it somewhere, but what treatment protocols does the good doc endorse? I did trace multiple migraines to hot dogs on an empty stomach followed by bright sunlight or extreme activity when I was in my teens thru 30's and they just about disappeared in my 50's...Just in time for the cluster beast to enter my life this year. Haven't traced CH to any foods for me yet.

Interesting article for the casual reader who's never had a HA but really you could learn more on this board in the time it took me to read this interview. No mention of any direction for treatments and he didn't even answer how many patients he sees. I'm sure I could find it somewhere, but what treatment protocols does the good doc endorse? 

Jay, if you will notice, I did preface the quote with "not that he is the absolute authority."  But to be honest, many consider Prof. Goadsby as just that as far as headache goes.   If you want to read more on Peter Goadsby, simply google him.

In my mind, it goes to show just how far we have to go.

bb