Weird headaches and working out

kat_92

Happy new year all! 

looking for advice from any gym rats on this forum. I just got into working out heavily in the past 6 months. I’ve been upping my protein intake with food and protein powders. The last week I have the worst throbbing headache on the opposite side of my face, not my ch side. Pain is ONLY behind my eye. It throbs for about 10-20 seconds and then subsides. It comes in waves about every 20 minutes. It is soooo bizarre. I do not think it is CH, they rarely change sides. This feels almost more like a migraine? I’ve had this before when ingesting soy sauce. It eventually went away. I’m wondering if this is constant because I have been taking protein powder every day. I googled it and I can’t find any concrete connections between high protein and headaches. I know the easiest experiment would be to stop the protein and see if they go away, but I’m trying to change my life style. Any help? 

thanks! Kat 

Kat, I’ve been working out for years and I don’t think I’ve ever experienced what you are talking about. Ive gotten randomly weird headaches but I haven’t had them enough to show a pattern. I take up to 160 grams of protien a day and I’ve never had a correlation with supplements I take and my headaches. Except one time I was in a cycle and was put on steroids to bust it. I went to the gym took my normal preworkout and felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I think stopping one thing and seeing if it helps is a good idea. Process of elimination is how I figured out my triggers and it works for other things. Hope you figure it out!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kat_92 said:

I just got into working out heavily in the past 6 months. I’ve been upping my protein intake with food and protein powders. The last week I have the worst throbbing headache on the opposite side of my face, not my ch side. Pain is ONLY behind my eye.... This feels almost more like a migraine? I’ve had this before when ingesting soy sauce. 

Kat? Maybe read ur ingredients closely. I wld be very suspicious theres some type of glutamate  added. Monosodiumglutamate is just one form of glutamate. Its just an additive. Glutamate supposedly helps force brain nerons arch across and transmit neural connections. I wld be very careful of ur brain. I utilise msg to help me sleep and to help slow chas. Found out once by sheer chance how it helped me when i went in and ate chinese food. They gracefully let me put my head down on the table and sleep for about an hour and a half, after i ate. It rly knocked chas out? And put me down, too. It was great. But msg can be quite active in the brain so do be careful. Its in most stuff w cheese - Mac n cheese? Nacho cheese doritos? Chinese? Cheese nips? Cheetos? All sources of msg. I suspect wildcherrypepsi and dr pepper also have msg in them, too ;)

Kat, I have lived on Whey protein for months when I was having bad gut issues. No effect on my head either way.

Some soy can have a bad effect on you. Like can bring on a gout attack for those prone to that issue. I avoid soy, except the sauce - Mushroom Soy!! - always, due to it messing with our hormones and junk. A little goes a long way with tofu, etc. 

...if you want or need the protein powder consider different brands and formulations....me i wouldn't touch 'em w/o a lot of research. a single like the whey protein spiny used seems best. the lower the number of ingredients the better chance of narrowing down your trigger(s). many have aspartame to "sweeten" as the powder itself is pretty yucky...known trigger for many. hydrolyzed protein is another name for MSG another known trigger, glutamic acid converts to glutamate in the body, migraineurs are advised to avoid. basically amino acids and their various forms can be or are "vasoactive" so potential triggers. the taurine in energy drinks being one....my neuro forbade it's use as being TOO vasoactive and "we don't know enough about"...

...i tried a google search...there's lots of info out there....consider reliable sources (.orgs and Mayo clinic types) for discussion....

• Like 2