O2 equipment question.

Redd

Anyone have any experience with an Invacare home cylinder refill machine? 

Reason I ask, is that my boss is looking into getting me set up with an O2 system at dealer cost, rather than retail, with the ability to concentrate and fill my own tanks.  but everything I see on the Invacare  site seems to be too low capacity for a clusterhead.  Regulators max out at 15 LPM.  But my question is the concentrator tank refill machine.  All that I see on that site is for the 2 to 5 LPM mini tanks, unless I'm not reading it right.

www.invacare.com   respiratory therapy section. 

anything useful there?

Redd, it does look to me like the largest cylinder that comes with this system is an M9.  That's the same diameter as an E tank, and a little less than half the height.  From what I read, it would hold only about a third as much O2 as an E tank -- 8.7 cubic feet vs. 24, according to http://mercurymed.com/catalogs/BDR_TechnicalInformation.pdf

(An M tank holds 125 cubic feet.)

And it takes more than two hours to fill an M9 tank, so if it could be used to fill an E tank, that would take close to 6 hours.

(I have heard that the O2 created by a concentrator is less "pure" O2 than the O2 a cylinder holds -- containing some "room air," or something.)

Maybe someone with sharper eyes and a sharper mind will see something here that I'm missing.

100% o2 is required for proper o2 therapy with CH's. 

What's needed?

A NON-rebreather mask (not a regular mask and not canulas), an o2 tank (not a machine/concentrator/etc) and a regulator that will fit the tank properly and that will provide high flow rates (25 lpm) to support hyperventilation.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

I use all types of equipment. Right tool right job. Try doing dishes with your opti-mask. A non-rebreather will work fine for that. Try sleeping with an opti-mask or a non rebreather.

A cannula will work fine for that. Try knocking down a K-8 with a cannula. An opti-mask will work fine for that. A bubbler works fine on a stationary J tank. Not so good on an e tank in the back seat of the car. Concentrators work well for long duration 02 therapy..say knocking down a shadow and keeping it away. Not so good for an already involved attack. E tanks are a great backup for concentrators. Using an E tank until the concentrator reaches full concentration works. Concentrators do provide for saving 02 tanks. Lots of tools out there when it comes to all of the variables involved. ;) A portable concentrator just may work keeping an attack at bay until you get to your other equipment enabling movement and improving quality of life..its worth a shot. It wouldn't be like a fresh E tank, but I would think it may have uses. :-/ Just like any tool. :-?

bb

You're right, spiny, but I know they're also sold separately (because we got ours in separate packaging from a kindly CBer), and I figure that'd be a lot cheaper than buying an O2ptimask.  Also, the O2ptimask one is relatively short . . . I realize now that I'm looking for one with an extension, as illustrated in the ch.com oxygen pages: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/O2/index.html

(I would just include the image of it here, but for some reason I can't include images. Or don't know how. I click on the "insert image" icon, and get the , but then I can't put anything in there between the s. Can't use paste (nothing happens) and don't get anything helping me "browse" for the image in my files.)

Evidently the pic upload here requires storage like Photobucket. You put your pics into an account you create there and import that way. I haven't done it in ages, so I don't remember my ID and password!!!! I have the same problem and can't upload from my pics on the PC either. Account is free, or used to be!

I see what you want now. A flexible extension. Call the Opti-mask number and ask them for info. At least he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Ya tell me to get a mouthpiece, then post a photo of my mouthpiece...now that's funny. The mouthpiece makes my teeth pop out..lmao. I have a bunch of em. Thats a photo of the old style clustermasx...made in England. the opti-mask is much better. 8-)  I have too big a mouthpiece.. :-X

bb ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D