Weather/Barometric Pressure change trigger

didgens

Hi all ,, been gone for some time now.  (life was hell).  Anyway I can definitively say without a doubt that a FOR SURE trigger is barometric pressure change..  I have been observing this for some time now,, and this is a solid trigger for my son.  not sure what to do with that info.  but now I have time to research it a bit more.

Thanks all  (yes chf ,, everything is over,  lost my mom in September,   my husband in December) ,,  

I have also noticed that my son gets them at the beginning of a virus as well,, if a cold of some kind has invaded him the first thing he gets sometimes is the CH ,,   swelling of something ,, I dunno  anymore,   will get back to doing more research after a while.   miss you guys ..

Oh, I am so very sorry to read this.  Sympathy and wishes for healing.

Have we talked about allergies?  Batch says the D3 regimen loses effectiveness when there are high pollen counts.  I think that he and others now regularly take normal doses of benadryl a few times a day, or at least when pollen counts (which you can check on the internet) are high.  Don't know whether this might also apply to colds/flu.

Thank you !

yes of all the antihistamines Benadryl is the only one that seems to help him.  I picked some up for him after reading somewhere that others benefited from it as well.  I think the swelling that causes the nerve pressure can be a result of allergies or virus' so maybe the Benadryl helps in either case.

Ouch didgens!! I remember vividly the first time that alcohol triggered a hit for me. It was a very severe attack that hit with the second sip of a beer. Did not make it down to the shoulder on that bottle!! I was hanging on for dear life thinking that my head was going to explode!!

On the other hand, alcohol is easily avoided right? Not like Mother Nature who has her own agenda.

I think that his reaction to sinus swelling/pressure is more common than we think. Why else would so many of us have had sinus surgery because of the pain?

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I've been an episodic for 21 years, got diagnosed 3 years ago. Have since found my triggers are weather change/seasonal change, barometric pressure change, along with change in sleeping patterns. Usual suspects are working a ton of hours while seasons are changing around me...sure to put me in cycle. I sit now in the throes of another cycle, this one of my own creation maybe? It's 30 degrees where I live, and my bride and I decided Aruba looked fun...it is! But going from 30 to 88 degrees and sunny overnight, along with a 2 day airplane ride with overnight stays along the way, with 5 hour sleeps and pressure changes are a sure fire way to drop a cycle in my lap...Aruba is awesome! Not sure it was worth it tho

• 4 weeks later...

I want to move to Hawaii because the barometric pressure hardly ever changes there: https://www.securevideo.com/blog/2014/09/23/u-s-cities-barometric-pressure-variation-full-list/

Also,  the reason why my picture is Arnold Schwarzenegger in Total Recall is because when the pressure drastically changes, that is me..lol

didgens,

Sorry to hear about discovering "barometric pressure changes" are such a trigger for your son.  Most of our triggers are avoidable;  alcohol, certain foods, sleep patterns, etc, but there's no escaping Mom Nature.  Since moving or using a pressure chamber are impossible ideas, how about trying to record and track exactly how much of a pressure change is responsible for the setting-off a CH attack?

A highly accurate marine-grade barometer could not only give you the atmospheric pressure, but chart the history and have alarms that you could personalize for CH thresholds.  Most of them are rather pricey, but there are ones that would function for your purpose for under $100.

You could get the forecast pressure changes from many sources, using their weather maps for your location.  Once you've determined the critical decrease in pressure necessary to instigate a CH attack ..... at least you'd be warned.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and a 8-10 mb drop in pressure over less than 4 hours will get me screaming most of the time.  When Low pressure approaches I get the cold water, O2 and coffee ready.  Sometimes getting ahead of the attack provides relief and sometimes the attacks never occur. 

Best of luck.  Mountain travel and airline flights are magnitudes greater in pressure changes over time.

weatherman B)

• 1 month later...

Barometric Pressure is it 100% for me...

spring turning to summer

summer turning to fall

each cycle can be two weeks - two months (2-3x per day usually twice like clockwork)

my body goes into shock from fear of them coming on. I think triptans make them worse. I think opioids make them worse. Sometimes these are the only things tho.

El niño was wonderful here in LA. I was in remission for first time in 10 years, but now low pressure is back and we get marine layer which is never good.

Even the rise and fall of the sun creates high pressure from the heat which can do it for me. It doesn't have to be a storm, but two days before I am aware of it!

Im trying o2 now and love it, but you still feel the headache hiding in the background, but it may allow you to work so if you are in an office, get a tank there too and keep your job.