Severe migraine during attack

Squizzlet

Hi all,

Does anyone else get severe migraines during their attacks?

Whenever I get an attack I usually get an awful migraine during the attack, and then carries on for hours afterwards. So whenever I get an attack I get extremely dizzy, vomiting throughout the entire attack, tingling in my hands, I also get extremely hot and almost faint. 

Does anyone else experience each attack like this? I've recently started a new cycle after being 4 years in remission.

Hope you're all pain free.

Welcome Squizzlet! 

I do not get this at all. It sounds wretched!! Are your Ch's the same? Or have they changed too?

Hopefully a member who has both will be along with ideas soon. Your symptoms do not fit normal CH of course, but do sound concerning. The tingling of your hands and the temp swings make me wonder. 

Do you have a Neuro that you could see?

Hi Squizzlet, 

I also have both CH and migraine but luckily for me, never at the same time. It sounds horrifing. 

Is it possible it has something to do with your blood pressure? Are you eating well? Could it have been an extremy bad migrain attack but no CH?

Do you feel both the CH pain and the migrain pain at the same time or does the CH pain consume all?

Stay strong  

Hi All,

My neuro diagnosed me with CH with a rare variety where I also get a migraine. This was when I initially had them 4 years ago.

I have never had a migraine other than during the attacks, but most of the time the migraine lasts for hours after the CH ends.

The CH have definitely changed. At first they lasted about 2-3 hours at 2pm and sometimes also 2am daily. Now they only last around 15-30mins, but I get between 1-4 attacks daily, usually at either 2am, 4am, 6am, 8am, but occasionally at other times such as 9pm.

I tried busting with Psilocybe semilanceata on Monday and I didn't get any CH until 10am the next morning, and it was a horrendous slapback 10/10 pain, and lasted over an hour. 

I should be receiving DMT tomorrow to help abort the attacks.

I'm also going to try and bust again on Sunday with 1g cubensis.

Currently what works best for me is to do the Wim Hof method as soon as I feel an attack coming on, and then put an ice pack on my head. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the breathing definitely reduces the pain and length.

The amount I overheat is starting to concern me as I sometimes jump straight into a freezing cold shower and still feel like I'm burning up. Unfortunately I can't afford to speak to a neuro and would have to wait many months if I go via the NHS.

Thanks all.

I also get migraines with cluster events. My cluster attacks are a little different because the cluster hit last 3 to 5 hours with 1/2 hour break between attacks and the migraine stays throughout the attack and can go on for hours after the attacks go away. 

Hey Squizzlet,

I'm working with a cluster headache group in Finland.  They conducted a survey of their members regarding migraine headache.  Of the 300 responders, 150 of these CHers also suffered from migraine headache.  This is an eye popping statistic with less than 1% of CHers here in the US with migraines until you look at the map of Finland and realize half of the country lies North of the Arctic Circle, i.e., not much sunshine and when it does shine, the angle to the horizon is so  low, the synthesis of cutaneous vitamin D3 is nil.

There's another interesting statistic.  The study I've been running since December of 2011 of cluster headache sufferers (CHers) taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus cofactors to control their CH has 313 participants as of December of 2019.  The second highest country by participants is Finland, second only to the US and ahead of the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand in total number of participants.

The 30 day efficacy of participants from Finland has 20 of 23 participants (83%) reporting a significant reduction in the frequency of their CH from a mean of 3 CH/day down to 3 CH/week.  The 30 day efficacy for CHers here in the US is 82%. As there are so many CHers in Finland with migraine, I hope to gather more data on how their migraine headaches respond to this regimen.  I'm presently tracking 12 migraineurs taking the anti-inflammatory regimen, 10 of them reported a significant reduction in the frequency of their migraines and five reported a complete cessation of their migraines.

If you're interested in this CH preventative regimen that's also proving effective in preventing migraine headache, you can download a copy of the treatment protocol at the following vitaminDwiki.com link.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Squizzlet,

I am having attacks of paroxysmal hemicrania during my migraine attacks. Once the migraine reached a certain intensity, the hemicrania attacks start. They go around 7-10 min per attack with breaks ranging from 15 min up to 1 hour and can go on forever. If a PH attack is coming, the migraine disappears almost completely and once the attack is over, a few minutes later, the migraine starts to come back. Indomethacin only works for the PH but not for the migraine. Now I take candesartan for migraine  and that works really well. I am on 16 mg. I had migraine attacks nearly every day and that now has diminished to once per two weeks. When the migraine is not there, the PH also stays away. 

So I would say yes it is possible. Problem is, currently migraine and CH are seen as two completely separate entities. That was not in the past. They called it sometimes cluster-migraine. I think cluster-migraine does exist and it was a more correct approach than what we have now. Why ? There are too many cases of hybrid migraine-CH but they keep on saying it does not exists. I have seen quite some neurologists and they all say the same. Very often, if a CH patient has also migraine, it blends together in a hybrid kind of headache with characteristics of both. I also can see that in the more recent studies, where the researchers have to admit there is neurological overlap between the two entities. 

Just ensure you have been through the entire protocol of CT scan etc... to be sure its a primary headache and there is nothing else going on.

Anyway wish you all the best and hope you find something to keep it under control. That can take a long time but soon or late you will find something :)

siegfried

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 11:58 AM, Siegfried said:

Hello Squizzlet,

I am having attacks of paroxysmal hemicrania during my migraine attacks. Once the migraine reached a certain intensity, the hemicrania attacks start. They go around 7-10 min per attack with breaks ranging from 15 min up to 1 hour and can go on forever. If a PH attack is coming, the migraine disappears almost completely and once the attack is over, a few minutes later, the migraine starts to come back. Indomethacin only works for the PH but not for the migraine. Now I take candesartan for migraine  and that works really well. I am on 16 mg. I had migraine attacks nearly every day and that now has diminished to once per two weeks. When the migraine is not there, the PH also stays away. 

So I would say yes it is possible. Problem is, currently migraine and CH are seen as two completely separate entities. That was not in the past. They called it sometimes cluster-migraine. I think cluster-migraine does exist and it was a more correct approach than what we have now. Why ? There are too many cases of hybrid migraine-CH but they keep on saying it does not exists. I have seen quite some neurologists and they all say the same. Very often, if a CH patient has also migraine, it blends together in a hybrid kind of headache with characteristics of both. I also can see that in the more recent studies, where the researchers have to admit there is neurological overlap between the two entities. 

Just ensure you have been through the entire protocol of CT scan etc... to be sure its a primary headache and there is nothing else going on.

Anyway wish you all the best and hope you find something to keep it under control. That can take a long time but soon or late you will find something :)

siegfried

I have also seen this in the medical studies - same as with migraine / HC (hemicrania continua). I think that for how long migraines and headaches have been around, medical science is dismayingly WAY behind the 8 ball. I say this not to be negative but to say not to take what doctors say as gospel, because plainly medical science itself is still uncertain of classifications and many doctors are not aware of all the treatment options there are. Not just busting, but other options beyond the usual pharmaceuticals that don't work very well. 

• 7 months later...

My situation started out with CHs by themselves before, after about a year, adding migraines to the mix. I have never actually had a CH outside of having a migraine at the same time. As spiny and MattB suggested it's truly horrendous. Dropping from the incredible raw pain of a CH is less relief than you need when you're still in the grip of a solid unrelenting migraine and of course trying to deal with the pain when you can't do things because of dizziness and nausea makes things far worse.

Now, very fortunately for me my CHs have dramatically eased off in the last few years, the last time I had a full on 10/10 screamer was in 2018 and I have only had a handful of them since, usually hitting maybe 7/10 and only getting maybe three or four over a couple of days before going months more without. Still by no means fun but obviously far better than my previous situation.

My problem is that my migraines have become more frequent and the worst ones have become truly horrific. I was just in hospital because of one so severe and being bizarrely displaced into my neck that it felt more like meningitis or something!

Anyway I just wanted to say yes you're not alone in experiencing this awful combination. Best of luck to you.

I have the opposite I get CHs all the time and once a month to several days in a week I’ll get a 24-48hr migraine. I’ve always known my migraine triggers and try and manage 2/3 and fend them off. Eating enough extra food for brain fuel while being sleep deprived is my main preventative. The other trigger is smoking too much....   but it only happens 1-2x a quarter...  thank god. Both suck but I eventually fall asleep w the migraine and am woken by a cluster.