Which demand valve to buy?

Jrb3rd

Hello, newbie here. I've had the cluster 02 mask for years now and want to move up to a demand valve . I am looking at the Allied Healthcare/LSP demand valve and notice there is two different flow rate models. One is 40lpm and other is 160lpm...I am lost as to which model I need...could someone please help me? Thank you in advance!

I would guess that 40 is plenty -- but wiser folks will give you a more definitive answer. (I could see the 40 at the Allied Healthcare site but not the 160.)

Will you do us/me the favor of letting us know how your purchase goes?  Do you have a DV prescription, or are you buying it without one?

You'll never use 160 lpm.....never...not even close. Is it possible to outrun 40 lpm? Possible but unlikely on a regular basis. 

If it's me....I buy the 160 if costs are the same.... Big difference in the price? Get the 40. 

As others have said, you can score on  eBay if you aren't needing it tomorrow.  Watch and wait.

• Like 1

Hi and providing a bit of comparison.... before I purchased my demand valve from "Divers Alert Network" (DAN.org) I asked for some specs and this is what they provided.  The cover sheet started "Life Support Products" by Allied. 

A late edit here with a few details that may help others. 

A fellow CH suggested this particular demand valve and I purchased it in late 2019 in preparation for my "normal upcoming cycle;" however, the cycle never showed up.  At the end of the last cycle I had started the D3 regime and am giving that credit for the missed cycle.  (I am very glad to have the new valve unused!)  I tested the valve and could not get it to limit the flow and it stopped all flow as expected.  From reading the spec sheet, it appears to be 160 LPM model, but I am sure I would be satisfied with 40 LPM. 

My transaction with DAN.org was easy, no script, no questions.  The link is: https://apps.dan.org/dive-store/?id=39.  The current cost is $205.  Again, I have tested it, but have had little need for it.

Others with more experience with this particular valve may offer comment.

Be safe. 

DemandValveSpecs.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My oxygen demand valve came with a 6-foot-long hose.  One end of the hose has a DISS connection sized for oxygen and connects to the regulator; the other end of the hose connects to the demand valve.  The Oxygen flow is: Tank, regulator, hose, demand valve, mask, patient.  Maybe another way to explain it is that the regulator needs to have the proper connections for both the tank and the hose; e.g., the regulator needs to have the DISS connection.

DISS connections are sized for the gas that is flowing to avoid connecting to wrong gas source. Also, the DISS fitting for the demand valve should not be limited by the regulator setting.

Scroll through this forum tread and I think that there are photos of a setup that might work for you.  https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/6632-demand-valve-o2/?tab=comments#comment-65652

I use E-tanks with a CGA870 connection to the tank.  Here is the regulator I use if that will help.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZVPR7NM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps and if not, keep asking......

• Like 1

Well.....It may be time to start talking about something that some find a lower cost option to a typical demand valve. 

I can't take credit for the initial find. I was asked by someone to evaluate an Amazon buy to see if it could be adapted to our uses. 

Before I go on.....the following should be considered solely as information and not a recommendation for use by me or anyone else for that matter. In other words, if you try this and it doesn't work as intended, it's not my fault because I'm not telling you that you should do any of this.

First....on Amazon we have this item. If you look closely, the provided hose is for scuba gear.....that's because that's what this device is sold as. BUT....if you happen to be surfing the web and end up here you will find a hose geared more towards our uses. If you find that one too short this one might be more your style. Now if you have a regulator such as this commonly found unit, your redneck, off label, completely unauthorized and not recommended by anyone demand valve setup is complete. Swap out the original hose for one geared towards our use and you're ready to roll. As with any O2 equipment, ALWAYS check for leaks and discontinue use until the leak is fixed.  Never use pipe tape on O2 fittings. Never. Just don't do it.

As with any set up....always turn the tank off when not in use.

I've used it briefly and a fine fellow in the northeast have been testing one I sent him for a few months with no complaints. 

Edited by Racer1_NC
additional info
  • Like 3

.....i remember the first Texas Instrument handheld calculator i saw in the university bookstore....musta been 5 - $600 and weighed as much as a brick. figured some day i might be able to afford one (now they're givin them away like business cards). until this completely hypothetical "rig" came along i felt the same way about demand valves........thank you B, a fun and practical "build a model" project...

Edited by jon019
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2021 at 8:01 AM, Racer1_NC said:

Well.....It may be time to start talking about something that some find a lower cost option to a typical demand valve. 

I can't take credit for the initial find. I was asked by someone to evaluate an Amazon buy to see if it could be adapted to our uses. 

Before I go on.....the following should be considered solely as information and not a recommendation for use by me or anyone else for that matter. In other words, if you try this and it doesn't work as intended, it's not my fault because I'm not telling you that you should do any of this.

First....on Amazon we have this item. If you look closely, the provided hose is for scuba gear.....that's because that's what this device is sold as. BUT....if you happen to be surfing the web and end up here you will find a hose geared more towards our uses. If you find that one too short this one might be more your style. Now if you have a regulator such as this commonly found unit, your redneck, off label, completely unauthorized and not recommended by anyone demand valve setup is complete. Swap out the original hose for one geared towards our use and you're ready to roll. As with any O2 equipment, ALWAYS check for leaks and discontinue use until the leak is fixed.  Never use pipe tape on O2 fittings. Never. Just don't do it.

As with any set up....always turn the tank off when not in use.

I've used it briefly and a fine fellow in the northeast have been testing one I sent him for a few months with no complaints. 

Wow.  I know this is an old post so I'm wondering if this still works.  And could the ClusterO2 kit mouthpiece fit on this?

Yes, the components are still available.  As for the mouth piece.....I haven't tried to swap anything around, but just looking at it it's doubtful the parts would be compatible. 

Here is a picture of the finished product. 

16941121860894879614452201586948.jpg

Edited by Racer1_NC
Additional information
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 10:42 PM, Racer1_NC said:

If you try that one, let us know how it works and how the quality checks out. 

Hey, I am near you in Winston, NC. Your the first person I've seen this close by. I could use some help finding a demand valve setup. If you can help. I'm going to shoot you a message. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHallMusician said:

Hey, I am near you in Winston, NC. Your the first person I've seen this close by. I could use some help finding a demand valve setup. If you can help. I'm going to shoot you a message. 

Messaged received and answered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Racer1_NC said:
4 hours ago, SHallMusician said:

Messaged received and answered. 

Of course, PMs are fine.  But the subject of demand valves is so often discussed here, without a huge amount of clarity, that if this conversation might be public, we might all learn something from it.  Again -- Not criticizing anyone.  Keeping it as PMs is fine.  But if there's info that could be shared, I for one would love to learn from it.

On a different note, I will say that I have been watching a lot of Sherlock Holmes episodes on TV lately, and my powers of deduction have increased dramatically. So I am going to take a guess that you might be a musician, SHallMusician.  If so, you should be auditioning for the Fuster Cluckers ensemble. @Bejeeber is the place to start, I think.

The Fuster Cluckers. I just went all Sherlocky myself in a search here to date the inception of this legendary Clusterbusters and Bomba Shack house band, and it was over 13 years ago (!!) Whew time flings by in such a jiffy when you're having cluster attacks fun. :lol:

You're an official member of the band now whether you like it or not SHallMusician, and if you bring a demand valve for sharing to the gig, I think that automatically elevates you to the position of music director, assuming DallasDenny is cool with it. :D Congratulations (??). :P

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CHfather said:

Of course, PMs are fine.  But the subject of demand valves is so often discussed here, without a huge amount of clarity, that if this conversation might be public, we might all learn something from it.  Again -- Not criticizing anyone.  Keeping it as PMs is fine.  But if there's info that could be shared, I for one would love to learn from it.

On a different note, I will say that I have been watching a lot of Sherlock Holmes episodes on TV lately, and my powers of deduction have increased dramatically. So I am going to take a guess that you might be a musician, SHallMusician.  If so, you should be auditioning for the Fuster Cluckers ensemble. @Bejeeber is the place to start, I think.

Honestly, I picked up the phone and called the new member just as he asked me to do in his PM. We spoke at length about 25lpm regulators, Cluster Masks, the homebrew demand valve, D3, where to find more information and meeting other people with clusters. I listened to his story. I find that actually speaking to people when they request it, asking questions and providing timely answers has great benefit for someone that's just discovering our community. 

My "Messaged received and answered." post was to inform those that spend many thankless hours monitoring this board and providing life saving information (such as yourself, CHfather) that indeed someone had taken time to help in a way that wasn't readily apparent.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, CHfather said:

Sorry y'all, I am brand new here. Yes, I am a musician who has actually been under management  and toured and endured these while also holding down a 40 hour job also. Until I lost those great jobs due to my CH and no neurologists or Drs or headache clinics with answers enough to get me by.

I just thought it was very nice to find someone so extremely close by to my home that actually has real CH episodes, that I could talk with. I have been a human pincushion and for 25 of my 27 years of this beast. Oxygen was not given as an option in this way to me. Misdiagnosed for quite a while was frustrating. I've had things done, teeth pulled, ear drums punctured, trigger point injections and WAY WAY more..I just wanted them gone whatever I had to do.

It was really  great to talk to him. Almost everything is actually on this forum already. 

We discussed regulators and the ch kit mask. Which I ordered both. I had 1 25lpm regulator arrive today.

I really appreciate the time that was taken to try and help because I am in a cluster cycle right now and have had more in one night than ever and am just trying to find a way through. 

Sorry for being off  board a little..but musicians tend to be that way lol...maybe I'll get a band tryout ...lol.

I hope you all have a pain free day and thanks for the acceptance and help!

• Like 1

It was really  great to talk to him.

Racer might not have bragged on himself (I'm sure he didn't) to let you know that you got the right guy -- he's the one that ClusterBusters calls on to do the oxygen presentations at every annual conference (in addition to being a great human being).

You might have also touched on these topics, but just in case:

Have you read about the vitamin D3 regimen? It's a huge help to many hundreds of people.  You should probably start it.  
         https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/1308-d3-regimen/

And if you haven't clicked on "New Users -- Please Read Here First" at the top of each page in the blue banner, it will help you understand why this site was
         founded and to see possible additions to your anti-CH arsenal.

am just trying to find a way through. 

You will get that here -- and more.  As the saying goes here, Sorry you have to be here but glad you found this place.  It's too darn bad, though, that you are clearly overqualified to get the Fuster Cluckers gig.

17 hours ago, CHfather said:

Racer might not have bragged on himself (I'm sure he didn't) to let you know that you got the right guy -- he's the one that ClusterBusters calls on to do the oxygen presentations at every annual conference (in addition to being a great human being).

I actually had watched a video on YouTube where he was showing all the different setups 1 day prior. I saw the demand valve which lead me to this thread the next day. I saw he was from my area. Actually about 15 mins from where I live. When Racer called me he said something and I realized I was talking to "The Man". I was actually taken back that I had just watched that and then he lives that close and gave me some advice..Very, very nice of him. I mean what are the chances of that happening that way. I think maybe a little intervention from above. 

I appreciate all of y'all though. These threads are helping me learn a lot. Thanks!

• Like 3