Dramatic vit D3 megadose success stories at ch.com

Bejeeber

Magnesium = natural calcium channel blocker. If your intake of magnesium is off (studies show that 75% of americans are deficite) calcium will be unhealthy to soft tissue, and you'll get weaker bones, among other things.

I've been reading alot on magnesium the last week and now consider myself a magnesiumfanatic.

Seriously, magnesium is a fascinating mineral:

http://www.newtreatments.org/ga.php?linkid=275

http://www.mgwater.com/index.shtml

http://web.mit.edu/london/www/magnesium.html

i decided on some calcium, magnesium, and zinc,with vitamin d3  compound  and had a better day today than all week , but it will take a while before i know if it did anything at all , may have just had a good day

i remember one or two days when i woke up and had no trace of a headache or cluster , and it was weird , like something wasn t right . i think if this thing ever goes away it will take time to readjust , normal day scared the hell out of me , it was like oh crap something just changed in my brain , did the malfunctioning part just die or did i have a stroke or something in my sleep , or is a super cluster gathering strength ?

turned out to be a low cycle with a few whoppers

lasted acouple of weeks,but still not a good way to be .

just weird going from multiple daily to bam , normal 

even for a day , after so long

feel bad for you episodic guys, on a constant roller coaster

oh yeah i forgot i woke up in a horrible moood , yelled at kids , but i think that is from lack of sleep , ever since those ha s have started waking me up in the middle of the night , just wishing that would end . would be a nice start

Well if somebody here doesn't start getting a good result I might have to change the reference to vitamin D3 in the title of this topic to vitamin BS. 

poor Bejeebers  ;)

ok I will chime in...quick recap - Hubby Episodic 14yrs, about 2yrs between ea cycle. Ea cycle last 6-8 wks. As far as we can recall he has always had only one a night. A bad one, usually 3hrs. Possibly some K3 here & there that we never counted as we mainly feared the big ones, and had no info other than they were called Cluster HA's. No docts or meds till this cycle started in Jan. About midway he received Sumatriptan. The day b4 he got the meds he was hit 4 times and that continued through what we considered the remainder of the cycle. Then after a few days PF (about the time his cycle should end)he started getting a couple K3/4's mainly just annoying. Usually only one at night. Ice for about 30 mins and gone. We considered them rebound hits. I had read the thread on CH and added the Vit D3 and Fish oil a few weeks ago. After 3 days, no more hits. He quite taking it as we wanted to get a clear base line for some blood work. About 3 days and the same hits returned. Again back on and about 2-3 days no hits. He stopped again same thing. Hits returned in a couple days. He has been back on for 3-4 days and no hits for the last 2 days....and in the words of Billy Joel "and so it goes and so goes, and your the only one who knows". So good on you for sharing the thread here. We never know what will help someone else!

We are going on vacation on the 5th so no more experimenting. He will stay on it and we will have to pack up the Sumatriptan left overs just in case, cuz I can't tell what the heck is going on, but the VitD3 and FO sure seem to be doing something. I think I will re-read through that thread on ch.com and try to see if it helps episodics more than chronics. But I suspect it has more to do with individual deficiencies more than anything else. Do you think Derek will mind if I bring my lap top to Hawaii...? Shame on me but I really want to!!  :D

Hmm.... I was thinking that maybe it would be a crapshoot for me, I checked the bottle of my D3, and noticed it was 50,000 UI's and I took it for 7 days straight.

No change in my HA's during that time.

Maybe the Fish Oil needs to be combined for the effect?

I'll talk to Mom when we go out later...

Mystina

hello all,

i was waiting to add this update as i wanted to talk to my doc about the vit d3 when i see him on monday before i posted this, but here is what i am doing:

16,000 iu's of vit D3

400 mgs of B2

400 mgs of magnesium

600 mgs of calcium

(i also take methergine 2 x's a day, but i have been taking that for quite awhile and my pattern did not change until i started the vit d3 regimine.)

i was having 5-7 hits a day, mostly k6's and up lasting 30minutes to 3 hours..this has been going on for several months.

after about 4 days on this regiime, I am down to 0-2 hits a day, mostly k2's and lasting no more than 15 minutes, with oxygen as the abortive.

but, i have had a few days with NO hits at all.

it has to be the d3 and b2 as these are the only two NEW things that i introduced.

Ii have also been doing alot of reading on the different websites and it is highly suggested that we add magnesium, which i am taking, but they say that the oil is absorbed into your body much more effectively than the pill form. it is stated that magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker (same as verapamil, except natural)

i have ordered the oil and will let you know if any changes occur once i start using that.

also, vit k2 seems to be a vitamin that needs to be added, but i wanted to talk to my pcp first as i have introduced alot of new vitamins into my system and want to make sure that i am not overdoing it.

i want to also note that before i started the vit d3, i stopped taking, neurontin (gabapentin), skelaxin and topamax, as i was prepping to bust.  and, they never helped me anyway.

So, now the only prescription drug that i am taking for the clusters is the methergine but will be going off of that soon.

i have to believe that the d3 is working for me, but it did take some time to get it into my system and i am taking a higher dose.

i will discuss this with my primary care doctor and let you all know what, if any dangers there are to taking such a high dose.  He is a great dr. and is very open-minded so i should be able to get some good info from him.  keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's wishing pain free days to all!!!

D3 UPDATE!

After posting my last post, THAT night hubby had a mild headache but was able to sleep through it!  Yesterday some shadowing and "strange feelings/pains" BUT NO HEADACHE!!!  Two nights in a row with no Imitrex!  First "headache free day" he has had since January! Don't know what to think!    :D  His cycle last time lasted 2 months... We are getting down to the line with ~ 3 months this time so not sure if coming off cycle now.  But this is what he is taking.

6,000 mg of fish oil - already been taking for triglycerides

15,000 IU of D3 - for a week now

300 mg of verapamil twice a day

300 mg of lithium twice a day

*** Past 3 /4 days he has tried taking between 5-10 IU of D3 during the day and then the rest at night.

He takes the fish oil, D3 and 2nd verap/lithium at dinner.

Other not so obvious things but might be worth mentioning....

Been sleeping with windows open for about a week now

Better mood - due to looking at buying another Harley, or is that the D3   ;)

I am in tears writing this.. finally a change!!

I know we aren't out of the woods yet but something is happening!  Just thought I would drop a quick update! 

I've had minor success with a combo of the D3/licorice root tincture/skullcap. 

Started D3 on the 14th. I have only had 1 hit since then, and it came after a stressful day at work and accompanied an unusual knot in my neck. It woke me up @ 3AM, and was full blown, so O2 was useless. Tried to tough it out, but was exhausted, so I grabbed a treximet :(

I've been getting weird HA's last couple days though. I have all of the symptoms of a CH, but no headpain in the temple/eye area. Knot in my neck at the top of my shoulder that radiates upward to my ear. Had a heck of an earache for 2 days this week, but better now. I skipped the tinctures/D3 for 2 days after the trex and felt like crap. But once I started taking them again, I feel better.

I have taken more D3 than the lic root+ I'm up to 10,000iu/day now.

John. . .I'm anxious to hear more about how this works out for you. While my headaches are probably less severe than yours, my symptoms seem to be identical. I get a knot near my shoulderblade, leads to neck stiffness, then POW, headache. Not always, but frequently.

I'm also two weeks into the licorice regimen, not on any other supplements or drugs at all. Mixed results, at this point.

I wonder if there's anything to the muscle tension? Is it a precursor, a side effect, or even a direct trigger? Hmmmmm. . .

John. . .I'm anxious to hear more about how this works out for you. While my headaches are probably less severe than yours, my symptoms seem to be identical. I get a knot near my shoulderblade, leads to neck stiffness, then POW, headache. Not always, but frequently.

I'm also two weeks into the licorice regimen, not on any other supplements or drugs at all. Mixed results, at this point.

I wonder if there's anything to the muscle tension? Is it a precursor, a side effect, or even a direct trigger? Hmmmmm. . .

Mine USUALLY is an effect of the CH. Starts in my temple/eye area, then radiates downward. But the last few days never manifested into a CH, just the neck/muscle pain...This thing changes more times than I can keep up with.  >:(

But the last few days never manifested into a CH, just the neck/muscle pain

Knot in my neck at the top of my shoulder that radiates upward to my ear.

Derek can usually measure if he is in/out out of cycle based on his neck. His usually begin with stiffness on the CH side of the neck. (which lingers through out the entire cycle)

When he gets home from work, I always ask him 2 questions: Any HA's today? If its a no, my next question is always "hows your neck?". Still no HA's and his neck is fine  :)

Also forgot to mention that Derek has been taking magnesium with the VD3 and FO.

i am not sure but i had a very good day the other day after juicing up on vitamins , not extreme doses either , but since i don t take them regularly , fell back off of a cliff ,, or maybe it was just a coincidence , still in the research phase of this , but i have read about certain vitamins helping other vitamins to be absorbed by the body , and since we all have different diets ,, it will be hard to figure out a recipe for everyone ,, we all have different amounts of different things in our bodies ,,

but the point is maybe a good complete multivitamin should be the starting point  , with a little extra d3

and ramp up from there on a few essential others

rather than shooting in the dark with 2-3 vitamins that may or may not end up being peed right out in your urine

UPDATE!

I am now taking ONLY the D3 supplement daily, with a dose of Licorice Root every 3-5 days.

I take 3 D3 around 10AM, then 3 more with dinner, usually 6PM.

I have been relatively PF for about a month now. I have had a couple minor shadows here and there, but nothing that a Monster doesn't cure.  I have also experimented and skipped a day here and there to see what was working. I used the whole bottle of Skullcap & the 1st bottle of L/R, but kept taking the D3. There was no change. Still no HA's. So I skipped the D3 for a day, and got a mild hit at bedtime.

I still get minor hits when I get really frustrated or annoyed, but I grab a Monster and they're gone.

So, for me, for this cycle, the D3 'bombing' has worked!

Thanks for the update John!  All information -- especially good news like this -- is much appreciated.  And of course it's great that it's worked so well for you.

I have three questions.  When you say you take 3 D3s at 10AM and 3 with dinner . . .  (1) What's the strength of each of the D3s you take (1 IU? 5 IU?)?  (2) Do you take your 10AM D3 with food (I've read that one should take them with food, since they're fat soluble)?  (3) Are you also taking the cal-mag-citrate that's recommended, or maybe a strong multi vitamin that has those ingredients?

FYI the orginator of the thread on D3, Fish Oil and Calcium Citrate has done extended work regarding the use and proper use of O2.  Additionally, if you have no desire to read the thread Batch also has a lot work regarding PH balance and has discovered for himself and I think several others that a too acid PH is prevalent during high cycles so if one can reduce the acid (get more alkaline) then the hits can drop or be less severe.  I personally have learned that when I am in high cycle (right dog gone it) my PH is way too acidy.  In addition to the D3, Fish Oil and Calcium Citrate (those were actually the regimen) I have modify my diet and drink lots of lemonade (easy source to move acid to alkaline).  Like meds and probably everything what works for one may or may not work for the other.  I can say right now the regimen is not working super well for me, but my PH notwithstanding my efforts is still way too acidy.

Thanks for the update John!  All information -- especially good news like this -- is much appreciated.  And of course it's great that it's worked so well for you.

I have three questions.  When you say you take 3 D3s at 10AM and 3 with dinner . . .  (1) What's the strength of each of the D3s you take (1 IU? 5 IU?)?  (2) Do you take your 10AM D3 with food (I've read that one should take them with food, since they're fat soluble)?  (3) Are you also taking the cal-mag-citrate that's recommended, or maybe a strong multi vitamin that has those ingredients?

The strength I'm taking is 2,000iu/ea. 6 pills =12,000iu/day.

I don't always take it with food though. Most times my 10AM accompanies a snack @ work, banana or apple, or yogurt. And no, I'm not taking all 3 together. I am working that way, but not just yet.

Today it rained again, light drizzle most of the day from 10AM til about 8Pm. The shadows were trying hard, but I fought harder. They never got more than annoying. If I add the rest of the regimen, I can only assume that I would feel even better. :)