Smoking

scottr1966

I quit for 6 weeks when my cycle got really intense. I didn't see an effect either way. If anything, I had clusters and was having a nicotine fit all at once. If you think it might help you though, give it a whirl. Let us know if you see a change.

Mad6string :)

Shit I ain't gonna quit unless someone tells me it makes the headache go away!

Although I need to quit...I know I should. Dammit I enjoy it too much. I tried the patch a few years ago and quit for 8 months but the mental part was so hard. I always wanted one. Damn these evil things.

Time for a smoke break  :o

The one thing I can tell you is that when I did smoke, a cigarette almost guaranteed a hit for me immediately following, however as soon as I finished the cluster, i'd smoke a victory cig to celebrate the the pain free time.  Since I have quit, my cycles have been shorter, the hit duration has been shorter and the intensity has been less.  This all may be a coincidence, but who knows.  I can definitely breathe better and taste all of that good food.

I have quit before, during and after cycles, to quote Mark Twain, "quitting smoking is easy I have done it a million times". I have not seen much of a difference either way, what I have found is that I am currently chewing nicorette and I think sometimes that may be a trigger. Hard to say when we are getting a lot a day what is and what isn't a trigger (other than alcohol) but I hear the people who still enjoy smoking after an attack, that was always my favorite cigarette of the day!

David

Stopping smoking won't stop CH.

It's hereditary. In our genes....(probably)

Having said that.

When I am in cycle, I do ease down, it does irritate the condition.

Once the heads cleared.....Back on 40 a day...Love em.. 8-)

What ever is in me fathers "gene's", I don't want to know. All kidding aside though, I haven't found a single person on my mother or father's side's of the family that had clusters. Is it possible that I'm the first and if so, because I can't have children, does it end with me? 8-)

I was always told that smoking contributes to the attacks cause of the lack of oxygen, but like I said, I was told this..never read anything that smoking causes or triggers them.. one thing that stands in the back of my mind is what I did read about "shift work" I worked for 2 service companies that I was on call 24/7 for 20 years..one vacation in all those years, ther were times when I was awake and working for 3 days straight back when oil was booming. but it was not out of the norm for me to be up 24 to 48 hours on end quit often.. I was a driver so I was on the clock more than off.  that's the only thing I read that keeps me wondering if it may have been my cause of getting this beast.

Darrin

Texas Cluster

Six months ago, my doctor told me that I had to quit smoking. So I did. And then I quit every week. Now it's time to see the Dr. for a check up. My, time does fly.

So now I have to see him on Monday. Thought about some detox to flush the nicotine out of my system, but then what's the point. I get so depressed about being such a failure, but then I feel so good smoking that first cig. with a cup of coffee every morning.

Thought about Chantix, but hear the side effects can be terrible headaches.

I use the gum, and smoke. That's double dipping.

So, guess I can go get the lecture about smoking kills or look for a really old Dr. that says smoke em if you got em.

What to do?      Leslie

ps   Dr. says quitting will help CH go away

Cluster headache and oxygen: is it possible to predict which patients will be relieved?

A retrospective cross-sectional correlation study.

by: A. P. Backx, D. Y. Haane, L. De Ceuster, P. J. Koehler

Department of Neurology, Atrium Medical Centre The Netherlands

http://www.springerlink.com/content/nq1q7wu319017111

Published online: Journal of neurology (27 April 2010)

We conclude that cluster headache patients who smoked in the past, had shorter attacks and were pain-free interictally respond best to oxygen inhalation

Shocked

I feel so good smoking that first cig. with a cup of coffee every morning.

Leslie

My own opinion is.

You should switch to tea Leslie.. ;D

I know smoking makes my hits worse, ive intentionally antagonized them with smoking to be sure.  I know it doesnt sound smart, but I wanted to be sure.  I lighten up on my smoking during cycle.  But thats me and they act differently to other people so, who knows what they do to you...   you could always test it.   :-/

I know O2 works for me to, wonderfully!