Ketamine infusions

Freud

Slept through the night??!!. Dude, how the hell did that happen?! It's a Christmas ketamine miracle! WOW, not that decreased frequency and intensity for some hits compares in any way to being PF, but sounds like a significant improvement.

What encouraging news on the theoretically darkest (shortest) day of the year, although it is in fact sunny here, and I bet it is there too in your newly adopted Sunshine State. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freud said:

Had 2 nights w no CH this week!!!

I'm trying not to get all carried away, but man, with the direction things appear they could be headed in, now hoping 7 nights per week w no CH could become possible!

This must be weird as hell for you to be experiencing actual sleep uninterrupted by CH on some nights. Let the weirdness reign!

• Like 2

Was a fluke. Had 2 horrible days, but may be when I get some more infusions it will happen again...   still worlds better having k in my Arsenal.  Had 2 Attacks that didn’t respond to the K until I used more than usual.  These were amongst the worst attacks I’ve had....  CH is always changing even when you’re chronic...

• Sad 1

Apparently ketamine works on selective glutamate receptors... similarly as how msg works? Found nyt article but i cant manage to get the link to transfer to here.  Article is:"can we stop suicides" 2018.

Its rather interesting. I find the startling similarity to msg VERY interesting. In a positive way... if someone cld volunteer an email? I can send the link that way to an email? Or if someone cld dwnload it onto here for others to read? It cld be most helpful.. thanx

On 1/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, Bejeeber said:

Here's Sue's link (but it appears to require a subscription to NYT to read).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/opinion/sunday/suicide-ketamine-depression.html

What i gleaned from this article was that ketamine (2017/8) worked on glutamate pathways in the brain. Thrust of article was that prozac and/or talk therapy takes a very long time - and they lose a lot of patients to suicide before those modalities become effective. Ketamine was seen as a fast, quick n easy method to tx depression to avoid losing souls. There were 3 drawbacks: 1. Can cause hallucinations 2. Can cause cystitis 3. Can cause hallucinations.

1 e.r. doc said its so safe, they use it in anesthesia for children, so it should be a viable rx for depression - as he put it? Otherwise, we put severly depressed suicidal people in paper suits and physical restraints, padded room, and leave them all alone in a room crying... until psych management can get to them... they viewed ketamine as good because it did not work on the serotonin pathway. Ketamine worked on the glutamate pathways.  Cell signaling? its rather an insanely complex system of + and - feedback loops. I can maybe see how the chas cld mutate so as to avoid a previously successful tx. Article, again 2018-so old, that ketamine also appeared to incompletely hook into some receptors and that increased brain plasticity.  That "plasticity"? Could be part of why a tx works for awhile.... then doesn't. Iow? A receptor issue. I was intetested in serotonin vs glutamate, and the ketamine-glutamate connection.  Msg helps me, but its a chas trigger for others. See? Ive always seen the cravings for hard cheddar cheese, red wine, chinese food, etc... not as triggers? But I've always seen them as prodomal sx. I think labels, words, tend to lead us down some wrong roads, at times. As others have said? Its almost wrong to call these headaches. U tell others cluster headaches and they simply think of headaches. Labels. Words. Boxes we put ideas in. To label it is to put forth ownership of it. And that  can be to our detriment. So glad tho, to see medical knowledge moving slowly away from serotonin as THE answer to psych issues and depression. Brain chemistry is far more complex than that. Having said that? Ketamine is not the simple slap on bandaid cure some see it as. Difficult dealing w medical issues when theres not much knowledge abt it.

• 1 month later...

Hi all sorry for the long delay in updates. It appears that the infusions did help or my CH just naturally cycles a little.  I finally found a doc willing to work w me using ketamine at home and I am using intra nasal and troches.  They also do infusions so I am going to schedule one this week.  Since I got back on at home Ketamine my CH has quieted down a bunch but I still get hit.  I am using a fair amount of K per month (600-800mg total).  But I have built some tolerance since I have been using it a year and a half now. Most docs won’t give you that much per day bc they aren’t used to working w it. You do have to be mindful and not over use it as you can get gall bladder inflammation and gu side effects. 

• Like 3