How Many Times a Day?

BoscoPiko

I am writing this because I have found that ever since becoming a cluster head it nearly feels like all I think about (even if I know I'm not due yet). I wonder how many times a day the average cluster head thinks  about their head? For me it seems to be a nuisance as I'm sure I think about it most every day multiple times (so many times that it's nearly embarrassing). Is there a trick or method that anyone uses to keep the mind off of this? The only times that I haven't thought about it until I'm blue in the face is if I am distracted with a serious deadline at work or something of a tragic and or heightened level of seriousness is going on.  It's just cumbersome to have so much thought based on the same thing day in and day out. Maybe I should try meditation idk? If anyone has a method of keeping the dreary thoughts at bay, I sure would like to hear it. 

Cheers and thanks for any feedback!  

Hi @BoscoPiko!

Good question. I thought this fairly recent scientific study on the subject, using MRi and everythang, which concluded ".......if you want to get something out of your mind so you can put in new information, 'suppress' works best."was interesting enough to be trying their technique some myself. Not sure yet how well it has worked for me - I have so many self recrimination inducing memories vying for attention, it will take a good while to work through them and try to boot them out. :lol:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bejeeber said:

Hi @BoscoPiko!

Good question. I thought this fairly recent scientific study on the subject, using MRi and everythang, which concluded ".......if you want to get something out of your mind so you can put in new information, 'suppress' works best."was interesting enough to be trying their technique some myself. Not sure yet how well it has worked for me - I have so many self recrimination inducing memories vying for attention, it will take a good while to work through them and try to boot them out. :lol:

Thanks Jeebs, I'll check it out:)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BoscoPiko said:

Maybe I should try meditation idk?

...YUP, job stress and the anguish of CH nearly took my mind....mostly by accident discovered that 20 mins of meditation EVERY day at lunchtime was incredibly refreshing, restorative, and instrumental in "maintaining". no training, no "method" just cleared my mind by concentrating on breathing only. a trained, directed version probably even better....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jon019 said:

...YUP, job stress and the anguish of CH nearly took my mind....mostly by accident discovered that 20 mins of meditation EVERY day at lunchtime was incredibly refreshing, restorative, and instrumental in "maintaining". no training, no "method" just cleared my mind by concentrating on breathing only. a trained, directed version probably even better....

Thanks Jon,

That sounds doable, I'll give it a go especially since you mentioned "no training no method" I have a small gym in my office that my husband made for me so I can go in there, lock the door and give it a try. I just feel so tired of the constant one way train of thinking...  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jon019 said:

20 mins of meditation EVERY day at lunchtime was incredibly refreshing, restorative, and instrumental in "maintaining".

This! ^^^ Ditto for me, just more of an evening habit in my case. I tend to come out of it feeling like a most welcome reset button has been pushed, and with a relative feeling of physical homeostasis. Now if I could just keep the meditation from triggering attacks while in cycle (oof!), much the same as other super relaxing activities such as naps and night time slumber will.                   

• Like 1

I would think about how I ruined my life, destroyed everything that I worked for, all of the chronic pain, and the headaches incessantly if I let it. The easy thing to do is what I do, let the doctors drug your ass until you are emotionally numb and you sleep most of the day and night.

It beats having more multi-level fusions for spinal cord compression and disc compression that the neurosurgeon has me sign off on. And it beats all of the pain from neurodegeneration. Headaches, right, and no offense. They wonder how I can walk. It is because I am too damn stubborn.

And you know, as long as the legal drugs keep coming, it is always easier. I guess that breathing stuff helps if your life has been mild, but I need drugs. I ain't lying, just being honest. When shit gets to the killing myself thoughts 24-7, it's a cocktail of Haldol Injections, Lorazepam, Propanol, even Thorazine: add Dilaudid and Fentanyl. I get analgesics, my body is shot, that part could be difficult for you.

In your case, just suppress it until you learn to disassociate: don't let the shrinks bullshit you when you get good at it, you can feel like you are looking at your body for hours on end (from the outside).

The solution is to block it. Always think of something else. When that fails, turn to legal drugs, just don't get hooked. I can think of great cocktails. If it gets intense, I am sorry, I just sleep as much as possible. I get up to fix supper and clean the house for my roommates. Then, I get cleaned up, and back to bed. It sounds terrible, but it works.

Again, block it out, or, take heavy hitters to help block it out. Oh, to reanswer your question, most are sent to the funny farm if they think of suicide, it is normal for me to start thinking about that by 5:00 PM until bed. And, the headaches, pain, and suffering, that is why the 12 gauge is gone. That would end up a catastrophe. As long as there are no guns, I am fine, FYI. Pills don't work, tried 15 times, 2 shock trauma, 10 ICU, 7 Hemodialysis, 2 Comas, 1 TBI, 60ECT, Shock Therapy. I think that I am best qualified.

Besides, if you are married, have friends, and life, that is not a good road to go down. Think about them. I realize that you are a lady, and I ain't being funny or forward, this applies to everyone, make love, smoke some grass, and listen to Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley, or Steel Pulse. Snort a Line, I dunno.

Fuck, man sex, drugs, and southern rock. Just don't let the man get ya, or get hooked. Live life or something. Don’t let this shit drag you down. Unless chronic, live it up. Party when not getting nailed. Go do your favorite things. Enjoy good cooking, cook or something. I would hope that you only experience this when dealing with the bullshit. If not, although easy to say, just ignore it. 

Focus on the moment. What I would not do to be out in a NorEaster, snowing its ass off,  32 degrees out, dropping in on a 15-foot crank, banging on the lip, high off my ass on uppers. Fuck man, blow, speed, and big surf. Shit man. Then all of us at a party Sublime, “Badfish,” talking about how it got any bigger we would have been towed in. 

Or, on a more serious note, my ex-wife, the homemaker, barefoot in the kitchen cooking. It was a simple thing for me. Money never made me happy, and at one time, trust me, I made plenty, a lot.

Enjoy life, you don't know when you are facing paralysis, no friends, homelessness, not enough money to get by, and reclusiveness (not by choice). As you can see, we did drugs (never got hooked), to increase the dopamine rush, now it is to escape the bullshit.

Here, just listen to this (with good drugs if necessary) whenever you are wigging out. I used to love this before surfing. If there is one thing that I miss it was surfing. Chauncey’s Surf Shop sponsored me until I moved for that damn ex.

This always lifts my spirits-lots of history perhaps. This was played heavily in its day.

• Like 1

Thanks Juss but I don't want to be numb..I don't use any drugs (maybe I should lol) I love the music you posted! I'm just trying to figure things out. if I'm blitzed I can't take care if my duties as a wife, grandmother and friend so that's not an option but I appreciate your response!

• Like 1

I will research what normal people do. I have many of the great clinical guides. There are a few things that I can think of: Cognitive Restructuring Log, Daily Dysfunction Log. I believe that I still have the online information: I know how to do these by memory, but that won't help you.

I don't use street drugs, not anymore, majority of the time I had scripts-not relevant. 

Truly, they want you to deal and process with the emotion. That is great if you can do that. Most of us can't, if faced with any type of crippling pain. I will look for these. It will help you a lot more.

• Like 1

I didn't mean to not respond to the rest of your message either I'm just a bit slow rt now .. you are rite In the sense that I don't know shit and should be happy that not all has been robbed from me! Sometimes it's easy to feel sorry for one's self.. Not proud of it.. just trying to comprehend..

• Like 1

First, you need to understand what cognitive distortion is. This is a decent, not great, intro. Inappropriate, the newest forms of therapy are all “talk therapy,” which is a waste of money and not proven to be efficacious. Of all the alphabet soup therapies, CBT is proven numerous times. I highly recommend psychoanalytically based therapies-that is subjective.

https://positivepsychology.com/cognitive-distortions/

Cognitive Restructuring helps to change the distortion, the taxing thought that you have, and turn it into an appropriate thought. For more information that appropriately reflects the explanation use Startpage or the search engine of preference for more information.

https://optionscounseling.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/4StepsCognitiveRestructuring.pdf

https://nbcgutah.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Thinking.challenge.pdf

Cognitive Dissonance is important and reflects upon the worksheet included above.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/cognitive-dissonance.html

A Daily Dysfunction Log helps to end procrastination and eradicate negative thoughts 

I believe that page 180 (of the book) has the record

https://www.guardianone.org/__static/7c741eabfe3d2c5e267029cd2b31f948/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-sourcebook.pdf?dl=1

https://deploymentpsych.org/system/files/member_resource/Daily Record of Dysfunctional Thoughts-1.pdf

• Like 1

The Feeling Good Handbook

https://5l8rgdu48v.pdcdn.xyz/dl2.php?id=187690028&h=ad43fae745df5f9ea66e90700de32fe2&u=cache&ext=pdf&n=The feeling good handbook

Feeling Good The New Mood Therapy

https://d565a6i560.pdcdn.xyz/dl2.php?id=33413232&h=c125d95c465f61f9d97a1f7a8709b82a&u=cache&ext=pdf&n=Feeling good by david burns

You are beyond normal, save yourself thousands, and perform Bibliotherapy, which is CBT by yourself. Dr. David Burns wrote the two best self-help books ever, all experts agree. That should save you $30. It helped my crazy ass. The Feeling Good book is clinically proven to be better at treating depression than any antidepressant. 

This just came to me, it is not uncommon to think about the difficulties that you mention. I am a straight shooter and not good at smoothing things over, but I have found that it never goes away. My headaches come and go now. They are not episodic or truly chronic; however, they come around enough to tell me who is boss.

I think you are handling it best by asking mature, responsible adults that live normal lives. That stated you have to filter the madness, or it will eat you up inside. I have not met one person with any severe illness that has reversed course, exemption Max Gerson type Cancer. Outside of that extreme, your problem is here and it will let you know.

This is what I ain't good at. You can't bottle it, but you can't hide from it either. I hope someone that has a background with the head doctor department can help. The noise in my head began in 1995, it never turned off. I'm afraid since that fateful day it has all been a matter of survival. 

In your case perhaps you can talk to friends, family and let them share responsibilities? I'm sorry, but if you dump all of your problems on one person, the outcome is always a disaster. I hope the best for you. 

I feel that it gets easier with time. For some, they are lucky and deal with just one issue. It is when the shit stack keeps piling, that it becomes an issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoscoPiko said:

...Maybe I should try meditation...

Boscopiko.

I was told to meditate by a world class w.pls. horse trainer.  I ended up rly liking it.  I do it a fair amount, sometimes it helps me slide into sleep - which prolly coincides w it being a trigger for bejeebers. I don't believe it is exactly what you are looking for.... but i would simply encourage you to go down this path.

In quantum physics? The observer effect is when the act of you being an observer and by observing? Things change. They usually reference this as to microscopes, but it applies across the board. So by meditating? You become the observer to your life's events etc.. and this allows for change to happen.

Its fairly common to go from warrior to healer in one's life.. ala Dances w Wolves or the Last Samurai or even, the Horse Whisperer, for quick reference. Freud ushered in great change in his day by recognizing the trauma caused by sex abuse of daughters by fathers (for fast answer) and he then handed reins of control off to Jung. Jung was into metaphysical and when Bill famously wrote to Jung to ask for help w how to beat his obsession w alcohol? Jung advised 3 things. Chief among them, the way to beat the worst enemy? Was to harness God. So, meditation at 30 minutes a day. An hour if you are under a lot of stress, I've seen recommended. 

Being obsessive about a medical issue until I've conquered it as best able to? Is fairly normal for me. So, popping into that mode and thinking about it a lot is not problematic for me. Howevah... the people around me often find more difficulty w it than i do ;) 

They do say.. quiet the mind, and the heart opens- to God. Thats pretty much the bottom line w meditation. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Juss said:

I will research what normal people do. I have many of the great clinical guides....Truly, they want you to deal and process with the emotion. That is great if you can do that. Most of us can't, if faced with any type of crippling pain...

Pretty funny there, Juss... "what normal people do"...? Most normal people fall off into defense mech's and or abnormal nonproductive and maladaptive coping techniques. LoL. Really. Booze, drugs, illegal immoral unethical sex, etc... etc.

It can be a difficult thing to simply go through something rough (like chas) and not pick up an ...mmmm...? bad habit.

I believe all of us want to be psychologically healthy. So. Either you face your issues and work on them? Or your issues *will work their way up until you are in a face off w them. Like it or not? You will always be walking towards good mental health via facing your issues. Its just how it goes. I have known one person who constantly & consistently worked on his issues. It didn't appear to be easy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Juss said:

First, you need to understand what cognitive distortion is. This is a decent, not great, intro. Inappropriate, the newest forms of therapy are all “talk therapy,” which is a waste of money and not proven to be efficacious. Of all the alphabet soup therapies, CBT is proven numerous times. I highly recommend psychoanalytically based therapies-that is subjective.

https://positivepsychology.com/cognitive-distortions/

Cognitive Restructuring helps to change the distortion, the taxing thought that you have, and turn it into an appropriate thought. For more information that appropriately reflects the explanation use Startpage or the search engine of preference for more information.

https://optionscounseling.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/4StepsCognitiveRestructuring.pdf

https://nbcgutah.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Thinking.challenge.pdf

Cognitive Dissonance is important and reflects upon the worksheet included above.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/cognitive-dissonance.html

A Daily Dysfunction Log helps to end procrastination and eradicate negative thoughts 

I believe that page 180 (of the book) has the record

https://www.guardianone.org/__static/7c741eabfe3d2c5e267029cd2b31f948/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-sourcebook.pdf?dl=1

https://deploymentpsych.org/system/files/member_resource/Daily Record of Dysfunctional Thoughts-1.pdf

Thanks Juss I'll check it out

• Like 1

Here, this is the easiest thing. I've listened to this religiously since having a record player, then a clear/color Memorex cassette tape and a Boombox. Anyways, this helps the most.

I bet most forgot about this great one. This reminds me of my father in his reader with his pipe (God I miss the smell of pipe tobacco), my father was the true definition of The 70s/80s intellectual, the HiFi stereo loud, and my mom rolling dumplings. Hell, most likely we had a console TV. The cable was pointless-10 channels. 

Walk of Life

While it has nothing to do with happiness, explicitly, anyone over 38 gets it. This song always makes me happy and brings back a lot of memories. This may be an East Coast, Mid-Atlantic, and my NJ connection? It helps me a ton.

Oh, FYI, I take a backpack whenever I must head out. It has headphones with an adapter, a good book, wigging out pills, flipping shit pills, Pain Pills, Headache Abort Narcotics, and my medical records should I need to go to hospital. Try music therapy or book therapy.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, devonrex said:

There is an app for most phones if not all that I swear by called headspace, has guided meditation, half ass tailored to current mood. I find it helps ease the dread and the rest. 

Thank you Devonrex  I'll look and see what I can find.

I recommend the iTouch wearables, iTouch Air 3. It has a relaxation feature and it has all of the features that the $350 smartwatches have. My ex misses gave me mine for Christmas. I do realize that most won't be caught dead with such, because it is not an Apple Brand or Samsung, even Fitbit. That is your waste of money, not mine.

The relaxation mode should help you to to avoid all of the costs associated with Headspace, and you can monitor your heart rate, record oxygen saturation, and all of those ridiculous things. I would spend $50 on the watch that is compatible with all phones, over an app that costs that much each year. 

This is the only forum that I know of that won't allow images in normal size. I will see if Google Photo works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oehpe4fvkY6nq7MJ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CebUGvdM4ni9H2Ym7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZHCNvR1LvZNR4t8m6

The relaxation mode assists with deep breathing. While taking a deep breath for 5 seconds, the watch records pulse and oxygen saturation. Then, the watch flashes “exhale,” and you do this for a few seconds; all while recording the same things (pulse and oxygen). You can monitor your pulse, and often see it drop, while deep breathing. I will see if I can get a video. Technology is not a thing for me. I still recall Betamax. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Juss said:

Don't mind the shakes, severe tremors, and all, sadly that is a mild day for me. I have a great day when it does not look as if I am stroking out or having a Grand Mal Seizure. Anyways, this should show the feature.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CNKePWpKGb5cy94N8

That's pretty cool!