Mixing Therapies

Victor

I've seen that some people mix the mushi treatment with the D3 vitamin treatment and I'd like to know what you think about that. Personally, I stopped mixing medications and therapies some time ago because then I can't know what is helping me and what isn't. Is anyone trying the D3 without the mushies? What other therapies do you use or mix?

Victor,

I think a lot of members use the D3 daily and other vits. as needed. Personally, I use the D3 regimen year round, as my D maxes at 30 in August after a summer of gardening!

Clusterheads tend to have low D3 all the time or in cycle. They are not mutually exclusive treatments by any means.

spiny

I am pretty much in the same boat.  I don't like to mix methods, and the D3 didn't do anything for me.

As stated, when you mix methods, you cannot get a real firm grasp of what is working and what is not. 

My big hang up was the imitrex.  I rarely use it, but when I need it, I NEED IT..... and nothing else matters.  Those times are usually when I get woke up out of a deep sleep and it's already too late for o2.

When I had my first CH just over 2 years ago now (damn I can't believe it's been that long) I came here for help.  I was told right away to not mix stuff, and to clean myself out before trying new stuff.  That's what I did.

Best regards,

steve

NEVER MIX TRIPTANS!!!!! Sounds like you took very good advice. 2 year!, you have a head start on the game Steve .33 years, boy that went by fast.I had CH, for 10 years before I got a misdiagnosis..lmao

Thanks BB .... it was seriously going to be suicide or an answer and I didn't have much time.  I know that "s word" isn't nice to say around here .... but when I first got hit I got hit HARD.  After my first 3 days of hell I told my wife (now ex) not to ever ever ever EVER give me a knife or anything sharp while i was in the dark bathroom going through an attack.  Luckily she comes from a medical type family and didn't take my antics as a joke.  She knew that I was going to off myself if I didn't get answers and get them QUICK.  So 5 doctors in 59 days of hell and I finally got a recommendation to go to the Cleveland Clinic.  That's where I met my savior.  Dr. Tepper.

I feel so bad for those of you who went years before knowing what was happening to you.  There is no way I would have had the strength to go much longer than I did ......

Those early morning hits will go away with oxygen. For me anyway.

I am always glad when I think about Trex and get rid of an attack without it. I haven't used it in years till the last month or so. I have shot myself twice. One was after being talked in to shots of Patron. Fun till it was NO FUN. I won't do that again EVER :o

.... it was seriously going to be suicide or an answer and I didn't have much time.  I know that "s word" isn't nice to say around here .... 

My impression has been that there's no problem here with talking about real stuff including when thoughts of suicide have cropped up during intense bouts. Especially since that's so common with CH'ers. So it seems to me you're fine broaching that subject b.g.

Heck, Bob Wold's video talk is titled "Suicide or Psychedelics" and Dan made a strong point in the Nat Geo episode of "a bullet or a mushroom".

I'm just glad, really glad we have the survivors that we do still here, and besides the breakthrough of busting that has helped so many, hoping big time for a breakthrough (BOL-148?) for those not getting enough relief yet, so the "s" word will be a distant, foggy memory for more CH'ers.

I am always glad when I think about Trex and get rid of an attack without it. 

That's very odd.  I did the exact same thing the other night.  I HATE taking the shot.  It just isn't good.  But I was in bad shape and fully ready to take it like a man.  I got the kit out, dislodged the vial, jabbed it in my leg, got my little sawed off q-tip, and just before I started to push the plunger down I "had a talk with the beast". 

"Either f*ck off or I'm gonna do it .... I swear to God I will do it" ......... I pulled the needle out .... briskly walked around the house for 3-4 minutes .... and it was gone.

Probably the first, last, and only time that will happen .... but I felt like a warrior for a moment there.  I had beat the beast by using the some crazy ass Jedi mind trick or something.

Just thought I would share that one.

So it seems to me you're fine broaching that subject b.g.

Well, I'm not "fine" per say.  But thank you for the words of confidence.  Looking back now, it was such a dark and dry period of my life. 

It was like Dan said in his NatGeo deal .... I thought about my daughter and how tough it was going to be on her.  I thought about what I was going to wear.  I thought about how I was going to do it.....

ugh ........ ok no more of that.  I'm just glad we are all still here!!

and the light bulb shines again .......

"Either f*ck off or I'm gonna do it .... I swear to God I will do it"

I have never used the Sumatriptan Succianate Injection since first getting the script in Aug, 2012.  Just been too reluctant of doing the "last available step for relief". 

But I have pulled out the kit, curse, scream and threaten the Beast with this weapon of internal desctruction!  Somehow it has worked on multiple occasions.  I had exactly the same experience!  Beast exits in minutes.

Altering the energy levels in the mental/physical characteristics of human biology has an effect on the attacks of CH, at least for me.  When I decompress from high-energy states, usually work days, that when the hits are the worst.

--- 92% of Hits are on days off, or outside of work hours

--- 38% are between 2-4pm, when energy is lowest

--- 80% Hit rate with daytime naps and alcohol

Is this why O2 and Energy Drinks work so well in aborting attacks?

I seem determined to fight the Beast on its own grounds, with as little chemical warfare as possible.  Maybe the pain thresholds are just getting TOO high.

I'll another Amen to all of you ...... PF days my friends....

weatherman

I'm an VA patient, that being said. I go in and they are very keen to the word suicide. Their questioning is geared toward this phenomena.sp? So they ask the question and I answer. I tell them it is normal to me to have thoughts of suicide with a knife in my temple for months and years on end. You would too. Wished I had a camera to post some of the looks they give ya. I think it is good that we talk about it. In some way we dont give those thoughts the respect they deserve. I tend to make a joke about it, but the wifey ain't going for it. I would jab trex in my eye, it beats the alternative. Tougher than Hobo shit BB

:D

I take a bunch of stuff - lol but I used to only take fungi and everything is fine in that department. I do however take D3 10k ius daily and this was way after the fungi - I take the D3 for other reasons I also take zinc , omega 3 fish oils and magnesium too.The onyl thing that works for me is fungi.

domino,

I too take the D3 for health reasons, not CH. It does not help the head, but it does help my body. It brought my d up to norm. Another side benefit is that my total cholesterol is under 200 and the good stuff accounts for 2/3 of the total. I gave it a 2 month trial last year for Ch and it did not help there, but it seemed logical to stay on it for the other benefits.

The D3 regimen has been a godsend for me. Since I started on it and got my serum level above 70 ng/ml, I have not had to bust. It's been over 6 months now since my last bust, and that one was done more as a maintenance dose - not because I was getting hit. Before that, it was May of last year that I had my last real hit.

WOW. Good for you Brew. Thanks for sharing.

BB, I didn't  EARN VA benefits. Good for you. I don't mention suicide to my Docs because I don't want to be prescribed new poisons to put in my body.

We all have those thoughts when the pain gets really bad I suppose.

I am going back on D3. Thanks to all for posting the benefits....again.

Dan

In today's health system, they will ask if you are thinking of suicide when you go to the Dr or ER!!!! Then, they enter it into your electronic record where it stays forever. >:(

When it gets bad, I want to break something!!!!!! I tell them the truth: If I wanted to commit suicide, why would I waste my money going to them?????

Since we have fully hijacked this thread now (sorry Victor) I will share a quick story.

Last summer I messed up and got a D.U.I

I won't make excuses for myself ... but divorce, moving out of the house, clusters, broke ...... I dove into the bottom of a bottle.

Anyways, part of my sentence were these group therapy sessions.  The MINIMUM was 18 sessions.  Twice a week, 3 hours per meeting.  It was a real pain.  About my 3rd or 4th session someone brought up suicide.  Now it was pretty well known that in these types of meetings you just keep your mouth shut and say whatever you think the counselor wants to hear because if he thinks that you need "more help" he has the power to keep you in those classes as long as he sees fit.

I had always lugged an "E" tank in with me just in case, and as usual I just blew it off when asked why I had o2.  "I get headaches" is my normal answer.  We all know by now that it's pointless to explain CH to some people and I was surrounded by "those people".

So the new guy in the class brings up suicide and the counselor quickly cuts him of with some pyscho babble bullsh*t about "suicide is never the answer" and what-not.  I laid it all out on the table right then and there.  I spent the next 30 minutes educating the group on CH and that YES there is a reason that death can be better than life.  I blew the doors off the joint.  The "old timers" in the group (the guys that had 15-16 sessions in and were nearing the end) were just shaking their heads with that look in their eyes like "this dude is NEVER getting out of here after a tirade like this".  It was priceless, but at that moment in time, I didn't care.  That was the first time I had actually used the words "Cluster Headache" in that group therapy thing.

The counselor went home that night and googled it and educated himself further.  The next day I got a phone call telling me not to bother coming back to group sessions.  He faxed a letter to the judge saying that I was successfully discharged from sessions and had completed my therapy :)