It’s always the beer!

Axel_B

Like a lot of us, I found out the hard way about beer being a nuclear level trigger.

As far as beer vs other alcoholic beverages are concerned, I've seen a couple CH'ers remark that beer is their guaranteed trigger, while something like vodka is not. I would not assume this get out of jail free card with vodka is universal for us though - clusterheads have definitely been triggered with hard liquor, so I haven't been inclined to risk testing the vodka theory!

I like beers and do fine outside of a cycle. When the cycle is near I will get kip 5 pain about an hour after drinking some for about a week then it's full blown attacks if I drink a beer in cycle.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rod H said:

I have the same experience as you xboss. 

It's amazing how predictable CH can be. I was surprised though with nitrates being the same trigger. Never really was until the last time. :(

Beer. From clear to 10/10 in 20 minutes. 
The wheat beer or cloudy beer is even worse.

I think I mentioned this in a post a few years back. Sometimes you fight the shadows all day with the odd clear patch. But you know as soon as you downing that beer to be ready! The waiting game is then over. Knowing that between 5 to 20 minutes you’re gonna be deep in it.. face the music  imo it’s better than meditating for hours and being woken up at one in the morning and fucking up the whole rest pattern. I have that beer just to get it over with but it kicks hard 1010. 

vasoconstrictors ??!!

somehow, the bear also pushes the attack to the full time limit, 3 to 4 hours

But wine doesn’t do it like beer does , for me anyway …

7 hours ago, xBoss said:

It's amazing how predictable CH can be. I was surprised though with nitrates being the same trigger. Never really was until the last time. :(

Yes agreed Xboss. , a lot of the time I rely on that predictability with beer to bring it on..  face the music.. but always to have my go to’s nearby/codeine/suma nasal spray/paracetamol/ etc  oxygen doesn’t work for me unfortunately.

‘between the Devil and the deep blue Sea’ 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bejeeber said:

Like a lot of us, I found out the hard way about beer being a nuclear level trigger.

As far as beer vs other alcoholic beverages are concerned, I've seen a couple CH'ers remark that beer is their guaranteed trigger, while something like vodka is not. I would not assume this get out of jail free card with vodka is universal for us though - clusterheads have definitely been triggered with hard liquor, so I haven't been inclined to risk testing the vodka theory!

I like ‘Nuclear level triggers’ :angry:/ like a rocket to K10 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bejeeber said:

Thanks Bejeeber..  Yippee so will test the vodka…  with much trepidation i had a wine the other day, expecting the worst, but no attack :))

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, charleywildtree said:

Apologies in advance if I missed this. I recently started drinking N.A. Beer. It seems to set off a CH similar to alcoholic beer. Thoughts??

...probably tyramine found in fermented products and/or the 0.5% alcohol that is allowed. one of the few 10 hits i've had was after na wine...hurt so bad i forgot to breathe....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I drank a 6'r tonight and gave the beast the middle finger. Smoke em if you got em warriors. I don't let the beast dictate my shiz. :) Hi all! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xBoss said:

I drank a 6'r tonight and gave the beast the middle finger.

A sixer?. Whoa, you gave the beast both middle fingers and threw in some middle toes to boot. :o

Here's hoping he didn't respond with any 6x beast finger pressing right behind the eyeball! :o

• Haha 2

I have not had a drink in 6+ years any alcohol is a 100% trigger and will jack a hit up if I have any during. Never had a chance to try one off cycle, since chronic I have no down time. If I do get a break I likely will not chance it. 

• Sad 2

• 3 months later...

Drinking is fine when I’m outside of an episode. I can enjoy a ton of red wine, have a normal headache or hangover, and be fine. 

However, during an episode it’s a “nuclear level trigger” as @Bejeeber eloquently writes… basically guaranteeing my emerging CH will be a minimum 8/10, and stretching its duration way out. Sucks because CHs make me very nervous and caffeine amps me up. Although caffeine doesn’t help much. 

• Like 1

argh..I'd love a drink, but stay away from any alcohol during an episode. red wine is worst trigger for me. 

Last night, after three months without a drop, I had two beers.  An hour later the shadows crept in for a short stay.  I'm enjoying a PF break, so it will probably be a dry summer for me.  no need to stir up any demons.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 5:17 PM, Bejeeber said:

I've seen a couple CH'ers remark that beer is their guaranteed trigger, while something like vodka is not

Funny you mention this,

The last weeks, I'm getting the impression that beer is def never helping with the shadows.
Being member of a whiskyclub and owner of 3 small cabinets full of Scotlands finest, I might be biased to say this.

Whisky does seem to help for me. after a few double ones the shadows seem to stop (lucky me, but my poor wallet).

I have to admit, it's better not to think about it too much, or my collection could get killed very soon :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The beast is a strange one. I am trying to loose weight because my back is so jacked up. I started Simiglutide to help this process. I found that if I have 1 beer it will trigger headaches now that I am on simiglutide so I stopped drinking. One would think that now that I have stopped drinking any alcohol my headaches would be better, that is not the case. Amazing how a trigger can set off hits but stopping that trigger does not reduce the events over an extended period of time. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2024 at 10:17 AM, Bejeeber said:

I’ve heard and experienced the same. Not advocating to drink vodka, or alcohol in general given possible triggers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jbiza said:

I’ve heard and experienced the same. Not advocating to drink vodka, or alcohol in general given possible triggers. 

Easier said than done of course. I struggle… Figuring out a way to escape this thing. Sorry for all and I get it. Get well!

On 3/1/2024 at 1:10 PM, charleywildtree said:

Apologies in advance if I missed this. I recently started drinking N.A. Beer. It seems to set off a CH similar to alcoholic beer. Thoughts??

On 3/3/2024 at 8:11 AM, devonrex said:

I have not had a drink in 6+ years any alcohol is a 100% trigger and will jack a hit up if I have any during. Never had a chance to try one off cycle, since chronic I have no down time. If I do get a break I likely will not chance it. 

I too haven’t had a drink in about 4 years which is a damn shame as my son owns two bars ! I purvey the smell of beer but just know that if I succumb then it will trigger an almighty response. If in doubt, stay out ! Having said that, I tip my hat off to warriors that don’t give a fig and do it anyway !